Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I am a Brazilian fan of RetroPie project, I already made a small donation to thank and plan to collaborate again for this amazing project!

I have a little problem in the boot, on emulationstation loading, in versions 3.4 and 3.5 of Retropie.

I have the following collection of roms I use on my SD card:

Atari 2600: 772 roms
    AdvMAME: 6.158 roms
    Mame4ALL: 2.271 roms
    Master System: 457 roms
    Mega Drive: 1.502 roms
    N64: 2 roms
    NES: 1.345 roms
    SNES: 2.883 roms

I use the “scraper” by SSELPH to download the covers in JPG and generate the “gamelist.xml” on my PC, and then move to the Raspberry Pi 2 (the scrap in RPi2 is very slow!).

In version 3.1 of RetroPie the boot was faster, some took more than one minute to load the system and emulationstation.

In versions 3.4 and 3.5, after it was used the “Jessie” version of Raspbian, the Emulationstation loading is too slow! After the system load (black screen with the letters passing), when it arrives on the screen “Loading Emulationstation” takes forever!!!

Compared the load times, in the moment you turn on the RPi2 until the system is ready for use in emulationstation screen emulators selection:

Version 3.1: 1 minute and 20 seconds.
    Version 3.4/3.5: 3 minutes and 40 seconds!

It is almost triple(!) time with the same amount of ROMs!

I noticed that in versions 3.4/3.5 if I do not use the scrap files (JPG images and gamelist.xml files), using the “gamelist.xml” files blank, the system loads quickly! So it seems that the delay problem to load the emulationstation in versions 3.4/3.5 is related to the use of scraps, perhaps in reading the files “gamelist.xml”.

Does anyone have a solution to get around this?

I thank the attention.

Att .;

Rafael

labelwhore
    Participant

No, I think us rom collectors just have to deal with the load times, unless we don’t scrape any art.

nickpeck
    Participant

Yah I noticed the same thing the other day. Once I loaded all of my Advmame games in it started booting really slow. It takes like 3min after hitting f4 to get to the console :( While it’s annoying to wait a bit more I still enjoy it. I love having a portable arcade unit with me at all times haha!!

I’m waiting for the rest of my parts to show up for my full sized arcade cabinet, can’t wait to fire that badboy up!!

dankcushions
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.