Emulation System

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tipoto tipoto 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Omnija
    Omnija
    Participant

I noticed every time i manually updated an emulation from the script it would replace my systems.cfg? I usually have it in order and assigned for specifics but it completely get replaced with the default one? Not sure if it’s a bug or just something with the script.

Profile photo of tipoto
    tipoto
    Participant

I think ES always creates a backup of your es_systems.cfg file before replacing it. It should be called es_system.cfg.bak, in the same folder (etc/emulationstation), I never checked if the backup was done properly though.
    I personally always keep a copy of all the modified files on my windows PC and for some specific files, like this one, I also create a backup myself on the sd card on the same location, that way it’s easy to switch the files just by renaming them.

Profile photo of Omnija
    Omnija
    Participant

So basicly it’s not a bug, and it gets annoying to replace/xD

Profile photo of tipoto
    tipoto
    Participant

Well, sometimes it really needs to modify this file, let’s say you want to update from 3.0 to 3.1, the script will have to modify your es_system.cfg file to add the necessary lines for the new emulators (lr-mame2003, lr-fba-next…), otherwise you wont be able to use them, unless you add the lines manually.
    But I agree with you that it’s sometimes annoying, it would be great if it could just add the new stuffs at the end without touching anything else.

Profile photo of petrockblog
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

The systems configuration gets sorted alphabetically automatically. you can override it with a es_systems.cfg in ~/.emulationstation/ (in home folder)

and manually merge in stuff as you like – it will never touch that and that will override the system one.

Profile photo of petrockblog
    petrockblog
    Keymaster

It will not replace any customisations unless they use the same “name” – so you can always use a custom name. it will still sort them though,

Profile photo of tipoto
    tipoto
    Participant

I didn’t know about the es_systems.cfg in ~/.emulationstation/, it’s good to know!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar