Unfortunately it looks like the above idea doesn’t work. I got the following error when trying to use the retropie setup script to build after adding “unstable” to the end of the gitPullOrClone line in emulationstation.sh:
And I did try adding -DFREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/freetype2/ before the “.” as suggested in the comments.
But the cmake line always gives similar errors to the above log. I did verify that all the dependencies were installed though I didn’t do the “Compile and install SDL2” part (which I’m assuming was already set up as part of my recent retropie image).
you can use our fork of the unstable branch which has our controller stuff integrated – however I found the sqlite storage in its current state slower than the old xml (on a rpi1). There are certainly optimisations that could be done.
It was a while back I tested – with a small rom selection – it was significantly slower than the xml loading/saving – It likely could be faster, but may require some tweaks – It’s possible it could be faster with a larger collection.