Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I have a 32GB microsdhc with my retropie and roms set up just how I want and decided to make a duplicate/backup. So I bought a new 32GB microsdhc and used applepi baker to make an IMG backup of the original microsd.

However, the new microsdhc is has slightly less capacity, so i get the following error when i try to restore the IMG:

“IMG might be too large. The IMG file you selected is possibly too large for the Storage Device you selected. IMG file size: 31,914,983,424 bytes. Storage device size: 31,104,958,464 bytes.”

I am able to proceed with the restore and it completes with no further error. However, when I put the new microsdhc in the pi and boot, it fails:

“PANIC: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)”

I’m assuming this is because of the file size difference in cards.

Is there any way I can get the original (bigger) sd card duplicated onto the new (barely smaller) card?

Floob
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Floob! I was able to get through resizing with gparted, but was unable to complete the rest of those steps (though I’m sure they would work).

What worked for me after the resizing was using the free version of EaseUs to clone just the larger data portion of the bigger (now resized smaller) card to the similar portion of the new card. It will still give an error if you try to clone the whole card, so just do that one portion. It took about 90 minutes to finish cloning, but it worked! Hopefully others in the same pickle will find this thread.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.