Debian package organization

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Debian package organization

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  roquen 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I would like to describe ideas about a possible organization of the RetroPie components into several Debian packages.

First of all I would like to give an overview about the current organization of the components:

configs:
    all
    atari2600
    cavestory
    doom
    fba
    gamegear
    gb
    gbc
    mame
    mastersystem
    megadrive
    nes
    pcengine
    psx
    snes

emulators:
    advancemame-0.94.0
    atari800-3.0.0
    basiliskii
    cpc4rpi-1.1
    dgen-sdl
    fbzx-2.10.0
    gngeo-0.7
    gngeo-pi-0.85
    gpsp
    jzintv-1.0-beta4
    linapple-src_2a
    mame4all-pi
    mupen64plus-rpi
    mupenBAK
    osmose-0.8.1+rpi20121122
    pifba
    pisnes
    RetroArch
    rpix86
    snes9x-rpi
    uae4rpi
    vice-2.3.dfsg
    Wolf4SDL-1.7-src

emulatorcores:
    fba-libretro
    fceu-next
    gambatte-libretro
    Genesis-Plus-GX
    imame4all-libretro
    libretro-prboom
    mednafen-pce-libretro
    nxengine-libretro
    pcsx_rearmed
    picodrive
    pocketsnes-libretro
    stella-libretro

supplementary:
    bcm2835-1.14
    dispmanx
    EmulationStation
    ES-config
    QtSixA-1.5.1
    runcommand
    sixpair
    SNESDev-Rpi

The Question is how to organize the Debian packages. Would it be a good idea to follow the current organization which would then lead to the following list of packages?

• RetroPie-Configs
    • RetroPie-Emulators
    • RetroPie-RetroArchCores
    • RetroPie-Supplementary

In addition, there could be a wrapper package that would install all packages from above.

What do you think?

nstensen
    Participant

Hi!

I believe the software should be split into way smaller packages. Maybe one for the core system, then one package for each of the emulators etc. Then create RetroPie-Full/-Minimal bundle packages 🙂 Much more bandwidth friendly. Why download everything if only one small emulator core has changed? Then create “wrapper” packages. ‘retropie-full’, ‘retropie-minimal’ etc.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I agree to the idea to have packages that contain individual components like single emulators, cores etc.

roquen
    Participant

I agree, is it possible to merge all the binaries into /usr/bin or somewhere appropriate for the system?

I am a fan of the BSNES concept of an individual folder/package for each ROM that contains all of the stuff for that rom (screenshots, and everything)

I know this is a shift in emulation convention, so thats a tough one, but I like the /usr/bin idea for the system package management integration for upgrades.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

We use Cookies and similar technology to collect and analyse information about the users of this website. We use this information to enhance the content, advertising and other services available on the site. Please click ‘Accept cookies’ to consent to the use of this technology by petrockblock. You can manage your preferences at any time by visiting our Cookies Policy page.