Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys and gals,

I’ve been messing around with the new 2.6 image and I personally use the Retropie systems in conjunction with Berryboot. I use a Raspberry pi 2.

I had some troubles converting it but I’ve succeeded and everything is running smoothly. I’m a noob when it comes to Linux based systems but I’ve appreciated all the threads which helped me make it run superbly. Now I can give a little back.

In case anybody else has issues converting the file I’ve put a link below with dropbox download for your own personal use.

Feel free to spread it around.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stflo4lwpxhxof1/converted_image_for_berryboot.img?dl=0

kmhamel
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve been working on this and keep getting errors. Thought I had it last night. Booted up the emulation station and than said something about the squashfs folder not found. Gave up for the night and went to bed. I wanted to do this for some of the other OS’s also. Would you mind outlining your steps?

keithsqik
    Participant

I’d be happy to outline my steps.

$ sudo kpartx -av image_you_want_to_convert.img
    add map loop0p1 (252:5): 0 117187 linear /dev/loop0 1
    add map loop0p2 (252:6): 0 3493888 linear /dev/loop0 118784
    $ sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt
    $ sudo sed -i ‘s/^\/dev\/mmcblk/#/g’ /mnt/etc/fstab
    $ sudo mksquashfs /mnt converted_image_for_berryboot.img -comp lzo -e lib/modules
    $ sudo umount /mnt
    $ sudo kpartx -d image_you_want_to_convert.img

These steps above are the steps that are on the berryboot wiki. I’ve done a lot wrong but I’ll stick the the major mistakes I made.

Firstly I tried to do this without enough virtual HDD space. I had the max HDD space of the virtual machine set too low. Secondly I made the mistake of not updating the kpartx and squashfs-tools. You can get these by inputting “apt-get install kpartx” and “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install squashfs-tools” in your terminal.

Third thing I did wrong was input the wrong filepath for the .img that I tried to convert. The easiest way to do this was type “sudo kpartx -av” and then drag the file to the terminal. That will make sure the path is automatically added. For me it looked like “sudo kpartx ‘/home/ubuntu/Desktop/retropie-rpi2.img'”, since I’ve put my file temporarily onto the desktop of my virtual machine.

The next two steps never gave me any trouble. I just copied “sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt” and “sudo sed -i ‘s/^\/dev\/mmcblk/#/g’ /mnt/etc/fstab”

Next thing that really had me confused because this wasn’t specified in any of the tutorials that I read through was “converted_image_for_berryboot.img”. I thought I had to change this to a filepath or to another name or something. But apparently you can just leave this as it is.

Afterwards I unmounted the drive and followed up the final command by typing “sudo kpartx -d” and dragging the original file to the terminal window so it automatically adds the filepath and I was done.

After I was done however I did lose the file because none of the tutorials mention that file appears in your home folder.

I’m sure I’ll be able to take what I’ve learned and apply it to other OS, as I see fit.

I hope one or more of the things I struggled with are the cause of your problems and I hope it helps :)

Good luck!

kmhamel
    Participant

Well I booted using your image and got the same error that I got on mine.

df: ‘squashfs’: no such file or directory

just jumps me out of emulation station and back to terminal.

any ideas?

keithsqik
    Participant

I’ve succesfully installed it on another raspberry pi today without a hitch.

The first thing that comes to mind. Have you tried it on another SD card? or perhaps you can use the berryboot option to install it onto a USB stick.

Have you checked how much room is available on your SD card?

kmhamel
    Participant

Berryboot was installing it on a harddrive.

kmhamel
    Participant

Thanks got it going, my f4 button was stuck, kicking me out.

thommy86
    Participant

Just registered to say Thanks!! I was trying to convert it today, but then I found your post!

Great job!

darktrooper
    Participant

Hi.

I’m a total noob to this too and have tried to use BerryBoot with OpenElec and RetroPie before without success.

I tried again today and noticed that the RetroPie version is 2.3 which comes with the newer build of BerryBoot and ideally would like to avoid spending hours updating RP (did it before on a seperate version…long story).

Which is where I stumbled across your post and your modified version.

Well, as I really am new to this I’m struggling to get your file to work. Not quite sure what’s gone wrong but I tried extracting your file to my freshly formatted mem card but nothing happened except a black screen.

Tried renaming your file and replacing the one that comes inside the BerryBoot folder but that just gave the multicolour splash screen when booting my Pi.

Any chance you could point me in the right direction and tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Cheers in advance.

thommy86
    Participant

Easiest way is to use 1 sd card and 2 usb sticks.. (I use a usb 3.0 for the os, so I will revert to this as the os stick)

Place the bootberry files on the sd card..
    Place the img you downloaded on the. Usb 2.0

Plug everything into the raspi. Now bootberry will boot. Close the os choice screen. Now long press on “add os” you will see an option to choose your own source. Look for the img on usb 2.0. And install it on the usb 3.0

To get openelec in bootberry, you will have to download the update zip. Extract the zip folder and look for a folder named target. Take the big system file and rename it to openelec.img. Now do the same as before. Place it on the usb 2.0 and install it in bootberry.

Good luck!

nadalowsky
    Participant

[quote=91789]Easiest way is to use 1 sd card and 2 usb sticks.. (I use a usb 3.0 for the os, so I will revert to this as the os stick)

Place the bootberry files on the sd card..
    Place the img you downloaded on the. Usb 2.0

Plug everything into the raspi. Now bootberry will boot. Close the os choice screen. Now long press on “add os” you will see an option to choose your own source. Look for the img on usb 2.0. And install it on the usb 3.0

To get openelec in bootberry, you will have to download the update zip. Extract the zip folder and look for a folder named target. Take the big system file and rename it to openelec.img. Now do the same as before. Place it on the usb 2.0 and install it in bootberry.

Good luck!
    [/quote]

Have I to install OpenElec in USB 3.0 too? Or in SD?

darktrooper
    Participant

Thank you SO much. I’ve got it all working now.

darktrooper
    Participant

Oh noooo.

I’ve run into a problem with this now.

I’ve gone through all the stages of configuring my PS3 pad via Bluetooth etc. and had all that working correctly. But now having copied over all the desired ROM files and set the controls and shaders etc. as I want them I’ve found that I’m no longer getting any audio when running games (audio via HDMI is set in the setup).

Worse now is that the menu is no longer showing when I press the start button within RetroPie only basic wireframe type box where the previous options used to be.

Something has obviously corrupted. Is there anything I can tinker with to make it work properly again?

thedigi321
    Participant

i have ran into an issue with this when i run emulationstation it give me the error
    “usr/bin/emulationstatio: line 11: 2642 Illegal instruction $es_bin “$@” did anyone else have this issue

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.