Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I just finished building an arcade cabinet and am using retropie on a raspberry pi 2 with retropie v3.0. I am using buttons and joystick and ipac 2 from xarcade: http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-parts/products/two-player-complete-do-it-yourself-arcade-kit

From what I’ve read the system emulates a keyboard. I’ve got player 1 setup and working well, but player 2 doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve looked around on the site and the only thing I see that seems relevant is on this page:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

The instructions there say to choose configure retroarch keyboard/joystick from the retropie menu and that to plug in one controller I wish to configure. I take that to mean I should unplug the wires from the ipac board from player one since I want to configure player 2. So I do that and use the keyboard to navigate to the menu. Once in the menu I choose configure keyboard for use with retroarch (since I think the xarcade buttons simulate a keyboard?). But, then when I get into the next screen (RetroArch keyboard configuration) the field names are for player 1 (input_player1_a etc) If I press player 2’s buttons they erase what was there for player one. For example, input_player1_a has control in it, if I press player 2’s button it registers as q. But if I save, am I just overwriting player 1’s controls?

Any help is greatly appreciated for how to configure player 2.

Thanks!

Nathan

petrockblog
    Keymaster

map the keys manually via editing configs/all/retroarch.cfg (see how player 1 is configured). you can do this from the config editor under supplementary.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

the plaeyr 2 inputs wont show up in the retropie input config thing until they are uncommented from the config file.

deadherring
    Participant

Thanks Buzz! I took a wild guess and thought that might be it, appreciate your confirming it for me. I’m trying that now, I’ll reply back and let you know if it works.

Nathan

deadherring
    Participant

Hi,

This process is working for me, I just ran into one problem: I dont know the keyboard key for some of the buttons and therefore can’t program them in the retroarch.cfg file.

I have 8 buttons and am attempting to configure the buttons to map to the snes controller. I was able to determine the keys and mapped them the way I wanted by using the retroarch keyboard config utility to see what key came up and then mapped it in the .cfg file. The problem is for some of the buttons, for some reason when I press the button nothing shows up in the keyboard config utility.

The ones I am missing are input_player1_y and input_player1_x. Any ideas how I would find out what key corresponds to the missing buttons?

Thanks.

input_player1_a = shift
    input_player1_b = space
    input_player1_y = ctrl
    input_player1_x = alt
    input_player1_start = num5
    input_player1_select = c
    input_player1_l = q
    input_player1_r = w
    input_player1_left = left
    input_player1_right = right
    input_player1_up = up
    input_player1_down = down

deadherring
    Participant

Also: Right I have the two bottom buttons configured to select and start. What would the player 1 and 2 buttons be configured to do? I don’t think they are configured to anything right now.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

not 100% sure what you are asking – you need to know xarcade mapping ? it should be in the manual etc

also here – https://github.com/scottnath/retropie-with-dual-x-arcades/blob/master/images/dual-x-arcade-button-map-default.png

deadherring
    Participant

Thanks for that. Sorry if I am unclear. I’m asking which keys (letters) on the keyboard correspond to player 1 X, and Y buttons based on the nintendo SNES controller: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation

I was able to figure out all the other buttons for player 1 and player 2 except for these two. Or, if you have a suggestion for a game I might try to see if I currently have them mapped the right way?

Does that make sense?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you can choose whatever mapping you want. You can have player 1 start as the up control if you wanted.

Map what feels comfortable – you can remap per emulator on top if needed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJKFUZX4PM) – you can see on the retropie wiki for each system how the retroarch buttons map to each controller to work out what might be best for your xarcade stick.

deadherring
    Participant

Thanks, I got it all squared away. One thing I noticed is when I go to Ports: Quake 3 arena, I can navigated through the options (single player, multi player …etc), but none of the buttons start the game (when I’m on single player and press any of the buttons, none of them start the game).

Here’s what I have configured in retroarch:

input_player1_a = z
    input_player1_b = shift
    input_player1_y = ctrl
    input_player1_x = alt
    input_player1_start = num5
    input_player1_select = c
    input_player1_l = space
    input_player1_r = x
    input_player1_left = left
    input_player1_right = right
    input_player1_up = up
    input_player1_down = down
    # input_player1_l2 =
    # input_player1_r2 =
    # input_player1_l3 =
    # input_player1_r3 =

Thanks,

Nathan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.