Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi.

I have created a simple script that can be used to toggle the command line access on and off in RetroPie.

You may ask “why on Earth would I want to do that!?”, well by turning the command line access off it means you get a nice fade-to-black when opening or exiting a game, instead of lines of text.

With my toggle script you can turn it on and off at will, so if you decided you need to tweak something via command line, turn command line access back on again and away you go. When finished, turn it off again. Sounds simple… and it is, but it is effective and in my opinion it makes all the difference having a smooth fade through black instead of lines of code, but each to their own Im sure.

Anyways – enough of my rambling, here is how to install my script should you be interested:

Download this attachment:

[attachment file=”102242″]

– extract the zip file contents and you should be left with a folder named “text_switcher”. Copy the folder onto your Raspberry Pi via FTP (or using Linux, if you run it), into the /home/pi/ directory, so it should look like:

/home/pi/text_switcher/

Now log into the pi via SSH and type in the following exactly:

cd text_switcher/
    sudo ./install.sh

It is very important that you are inside the ‘text_switcher’ directory when running the above install script, so do not run it from another directory as it will not work!

Your Pi will now reboot and you will notice 2 extra items in the RetroPie menu. Select Command_Line_Disable to turn off command line access, allowing smooth fades between game switching, and select Command_Line_Enable to turn access back on again (at the cost of showing command line text between game selection / exit).

It is now safe to delete the “text_switcher” folder in /home/pi/, but do not delete the /home/pi/backup/ folder! This is where the magic takes place! ;)

I have also attached a cmdline.txt file which if you copy over into you boot partition (replaces the existing file so you may want to create a backup!), it will turn off all boot text, logo and splash screen, for a 100% clean look throughout.

Hope this helps people who are wanting that clean look. Appreciate it is not for everyone, but this is how I like it and having the option to switch command line access back on without using SSH or FTP is somewhat handy.

Cheers.
    Steve

Please ensure you use this attachment:[attachment file=”102242″] for the installer.

The other text switcher attachment has the wrong directory name (text_switcher (copy) ) but I cant seem to delete it from my post?! :s

machtroid
    Participant

Nice work! I’m definitely giving this a try later. No longer will I have to edit my profile to remove command line text.

smithers
    Participant

Yes it is quite handy, if I do say so myself! :)

machtroid
    Participant

I got the script installed and now have the options via the Retropie menu. I chose disable command line, and while it does seem to disable the rom boot command line text, it keeps the initial command line text from when my rpi boots up. I would like to have the initial rpi boot text in tact when the system powers on/restarts, however once ES loads I would like that all to be cleared like it normally does and then have no rom boot text like it seems to be doing now. Is that possible?

smithers
    Participant

[quote=102415]I got the script installed and now have the options via the Retropie menu. I chose disable command line, and while it does seem to disable the rom boot command line text, it keeps the initial command line text from when my rpi boots up. I would like to have the initial rpi boot text in tact when the system powers on/restarts, however once ES loads I would like that all to be cleared like it normally does and then have no rom boot text like it seems to be doing now. Is that possible?

[/quote]

I think I know what you mean. Are you saying that when you load or exit a rom a picture of the last bit of code from bootup is displayed every time?

This script is really meant to be used if you have hidden your boot text too, however you may be able to create a script that clears all boot text and make it the last thing that is loaded on boot up? I’m not 100% certain on that mind. I like to have it all hidden you see so I haven’t encountered such issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.