Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently purchased a usb buffalo controller to replace a standard snes usb controller I was using. ( here’s the link http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-Gamepad-Digital-Rapid/dp/B000TW9AFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406332872&sr=8-2&keywords=buffalo+controller) The buttons work(although they’re differtn than the standard snes usb buttons I set up initially. I tried to edit the retroarch.cfg file but can’t seem to get get the start and select buttons to work. However they work fine in emulation station menu.

Is they’re an easy way to see what number is realted to what button to set it up and then what is the best way to set up this new controller.

Thanks guys.

I also have iBuffalo controllers, but a different model (but I suppose they should be wired the same). I can post my config for you tomorrow. Or post your config & I will have a look. When my memory is right, start&select should be btn 8+9…

Try this (mine):

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
    input_player1_b_btn = "1"
    input_player1_y_btn = "3"
    input_player1_select_btn = "6"
    input_player1_start_btn = "7"
    input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
    input_player1_down_axis = "+1"
    input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
    input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
    input_player1_a_btn = "0"
    input_player1_x_btn = "2"
    input_player1_l_btn = "4"
    input_player1_r_btn = "5"
    input_player2_joypad_index = "1"
    input_player2_b_btn = "1"
    input_player2_y_btn = "3"
    input_player2_select_btn = "6"
    input_player2_start_btn = "7"
    input_player2_up_axis = "-1"
    input_player2_down_axis = "+1"
    input_player2_left_axis = "-0"
    input_player2_right_axis = "+0"
    input_player2_a_btn = "0"
    input_player2_x_btn = "2"
    input_player2_l_btn = "4"
    input_player2_r_btn = "5"
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "6"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "7"
    jerzythepeddler
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I believe 8 and 9 are what I had for start and select initially on the snes usb controller I was using and it didn’t seem to work with the buffalo but works great with the usb snes controller.

I wonder if it’s a bad idea to be using 2 different kinds of controllers at the same time?

jerzythepeddler
    Participant

[quote=19847]Try this (mine):

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
    input_player1_b_btn = "1"
    input_player1_y_btn = "3"
    input_player1_select_btn = "6"
    input_player1_start_btn = "7"
    input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
    input_player1_down_axis = "+1"
    input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
    input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
    input_player1_a_btn = "0"
    input_player1_x_btn = "2"
    input_player1_l_btn = "4"
    input_player1_r_btn = "5"
    input_player2_joypad_index = "1"
    input_player2_b_btn = "1"
    input_player2_y_btn = "3"
    input_player2_select_btn = "6"
    input_player2_start_btn = "7"
    input_player2_up_axis = "-1"
    input_player2_down_axis = "+1"
    input_player2_left_axis = "-0"
    input_player2_right_axis = "+0"
    input_player2_a_btn = "0"
    input_player2_x_btn = "2"
    input_player2_l_btn = "4"
    input_player2_r_btn = "5"
    input_enable_hotkey_btn = "6"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "7"

[/quote]Cool thanks. Just for my peace of mind how would you edit the config file to add this? I feel like i’ve tried a couple of ways to get to the retroarch.cfg and sometimes it gives me the “e325 attention found a swap file by the name” thing and I’m just wanting to make sure I’m doing it the best way.

As you can see, it’s 6+7, not 8+9. My memory was wrong. Try it.

Should be no problem with 2 different kinds of controllers, as long as your config is right. Just a little editing and you’re good to go.

Personally, I just used the edit function in winscp :)

Initial setup of controllers was very ***** but since i have my config it’s easy.

jerzythepeddler
    Participant

[quote=19856]Personally, I just used the edit function in winscp :)

Initial setup of controllers was very ***** but since i have my config it’s easy.
    [/quote]When using winscp where do you go to fid the config file? I’ve only ever gotten to it from the terminal ssh’ed from my mac.

Erick

You can edit using vi in the console.

vi ~/RetroPie/configs/all/RetroArch/retroarch.cfg
    or if you have the newer RetroPie build…
    vi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

This will bring up your config in the console.
    Navigate to the place you want to edit and type ‘i’ to start editing.
    When done editing, press ESC and type “:wq” this will write the file with your changes and quit vi.

chris123
    Participant

[quote=19882]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Avatar2200 wrote:</div>
    Personally, I just used the edit function in winscp :)

When using winscp where do you go to fid the config file? I’ve only ever gotten to it from the terminal ssh’ed from my mac.

[/quote]

Did you get this working?

jerzythepeddler
    Participant

No I never quite got this controller working.

Floob

You could use the auto files like this?

wadethefade
    Participant

Auto file was the way to go. Its how I use my PS3 controller and the Buffalo one at the same time with no problems.

huskefreak
    Participant

I have tried to config my controller several times like in the video at the 3 minute mark where is auto configs. When I do this the screen flashes black with some text that I can’t read in time and says complete and does not let me manually push the buttons. Also his option is 315 or 316 and mine is 317. I have been pulling my hair out with this.

The controller works for the emulator but not in game.

I have tried the video with using the winsp and I don’t have etc file that is shows in another video.

I really want to learn the code part of this but I just keep running into noob roadblocks. I am to the point I would ask if someone could remote in to my pie and help me with this.

May buy another remote and see if that would help.

A lot of the code typed in the videos that I do letter for letter I get the bash error not found type of stuff

Please Help!

Floob

@huskefreak
    The issue you have with the config process bombing out is probably this:

Either that or you may have EmulationStation running in the background.

If its feasible you could start with a clean 2.4.2 image, then follow the guide?

Remember that the /etc directory is at the top level if you want to get to that, as opposed to being in /home/pi/ for example.

Hopefully some of my other videos below will help you.

huskefreak
    Participant

[quote=85975] @huskefreak
    The issue you have with the config process bombing out is probably this:

https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/error-with-retropie-setup-scripts/

Either that or you may have EmulationStation running in the background.

If its feasible you could start with a clean 2.4.2 image, then follow the guide?

Remember that the /etc directory is at the top level if you want to get to that, as opposed to being in /home/pi/ for example.

Hopefully some of my other videos below will help you.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I may try the 2.4 tonight if I can get the boy off minecraft. How do you know if the EmulationStation is running in the background? If it is how do you stop it> One more noob question /etc directory is at the top level can you explain that a little more.

I may need to find some online Raspberry Pie programming classes to get me more familiarized of the programming may help.

Thanks for the Tips. Your videos seem to be the best I have found on youtube. I just get frustrated when I am going step for step and not getting the same results. I am the manager of Radio Control model company’s customer service and I get frustrated when customers that can’t figure out how to program a speed control and it comes so easy for me. I think this may be the same for you now I know what if feels like.

Floob

At the command prompt you can type “ps -u pi”
    This will show whats running, as long as EmulationStation isnt running, that should be fine.

The comments underneath this video here may help you fix the path issue otherwise:

To get to etc, in the terminal you type “cd /etc”
    Then “cd /emulationstation”

Just let me know if you need anything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.