Backup SD card image larger than the SD card??

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Backup SD card image larger than the SD card??

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gizmo98 gizmo98 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of chezbot
    chezbot
    Participant

So I have a fully working retropie setup and I am loving it! However I would like to repurpose my 32gb class 10 Sandisk SD card for something else for the time being so I have decided to try backing it up into an image file. I am using Mac OS X Lion’s DD command to do the backup but the image it’s created is far larger than the card itself (60+gigs) meaning I don’t think I’ll be able to write it back to the same card at a later date.

The card is almost completely full of ROMS down to the last gig. I don’t know how this is possible! Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what could be the cause of such a strange issue?

Profile photo of InsecureSpike
    InsecureSpike
    Participant

try this out,
    http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/raspberry-pi/macosx-apple-pi-baker/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profile photo of chezbot
    chezbot
    Participant

I will give the PiBaker app a try. However I have the feeling that it just uses dd as a backend which may give me the same problems. I’ll post back here after I try it.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

yup possibly, but if you get the same results, you know alls ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InsecureSpike
    Participant

double post, stupid Tapatalk

Profile photo of gizmo98
    gizmo98
    Participant

I backup my sd under mavericks with this command:
    sudo dd bs=1m if=/dev/rdisk# of=<your image file>.img

Had no problem until now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar