Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
    I just register to say thanks for this !!
    it totally solved my problems.

same
    Participant

Hello feederchain,

Thank you for the custom kernel, it solves my problem of the missing axes for joystick #2 and now I have two separate inputs !

It would be interesting to get this fix into the official RetroPie release.

darkheart1984
    Participant

could someone please help me with this total noob.
    I download the lastest kernel from drop box
    file : custom_kernel_1.20150619-1.tar.gz

Try to move it to my pi in the home folder via WinSCP keep getting error failed to copy

believe this is what I need because two joystick only one works or they both work as player one.

darkheart1984
    Participant

keep get error
    general failure (server should provide error description)
    Error code 4
    Error message from server:failure

not sure what I am doing wrong. unzip the file using 7 zip file

feederchain
    Participant

You don’t need to unzip the file before moving it to the Pi. In fact you probably shouldn’t.

I setup RetroPie to have a samba share so that it would like a windows share. That’s how I transferred the gz file to mine.

Once you have it there, just run these three commands

tar xf custom_kernel_1.20150619-1.tar.gz
    cd custom_kernel_1.20150619-1
    sudo ./install.sh

The first command unpacks the file into a new directory.
    The second changes into that directory
    The third installs the kernel

darkheart1984
    Participant

this is what I am getting. I put the file in home/pi

pi@retropie ~ $ tar xf custom_kernel_1.2015619-1.tar.gz
    tar: custom_kernel_1.2015619-1.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

feederchain
    Participant

I can only assume that is exactly what you typed. In which case you have the file name wrong. You are missing the 0 before the 6.

Here’s a tip. In the linux command line the tab key can be very useful. For example if you type the following

tar xf custom

then hit the tab key. It should auto complete to the file name. If there are more than one file name that starts with “custom” you will have to hit it twice to get the list of possibles.

darkheart1984
    Participant

it was wired the file was blue tried it nothing. took it off and rebooted put it back on and rebooted. Tried once more and the file was red when I typed a ls command its now running the file.

darkheart1984
    Participant

Hoping that I will be asked to map out my joysticks now or do I need to go in to the retroarch files to change something else, next step please

feederchain
    Participant

There are controller mappings and such starting on page one of this thread. It will all depend on the controller you are using, for what buttons should be mapped to what.

darkheart1984
    Participant

I am like most in this tread in ur debit. Thank you for the help finally can start putting all this stuff together for my father arcade built, from fathers day. thanks you very much

temecal
    Participant

Hi all-
    I’m at a complete loss trying to get my joysticks/buttons to work. I have a Xin-Mo Dual controller, two joysticks and 20 buttons. I had joystick 1 and all 20 buttons working initially. Joystick 2 was never showing up in dmesg, nor was /dev/input/js1 present.

I installed feederchain’s kernel update, and voila, joystick 2 shows up now! Unfortunately, only the following work now:

Joystick 1 left/right/up/down
    Player 1 A and B buttons
    Joystick 2 left/right/up/down
    Player 2 A and B buttons

No other buttons work now. Start, Select, Exit, hot-key, C, X, Y, etc… do NOT work now.

My /opt/retropie/configs/all/retoarch.cfg file shows the proper directory for my joypad config:
    joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

I’ve tried everything possible, from using my original working config…to removing “player1/player2” from the variable names…to changing axis numbers and joypad index numbers. I’ve removed quotes, added quotes. Nothing seems to matter. Here’s my latest config:

input_player1_joypad_index = “0”
    input_player1_up_axis = “-1”
    input_player1_down_axis = “+1”
    input_player1_left_axis = “-0”
    input_player1_right_axis = “+0”
    input_player1_a_btn = “0”
    input_player1_b_btn = “1”
    input_player1_x_btn = “3”
    input_player1_y_btn = “2”
    input_player1_select_btn = “6”
    input_player1_start_btn = “7”

input_player2_joypad_index = “1”
    input_player2_up_axis = “-1”
    input_player2_down_axis = “+1”
    input_player2_left_axis = “-0”
    input_player2_right_axis = “+0”
    input_player2_a_btn = “0”
    input_player2_b_btn = “1”
    input_player2_x_btn = “3”
    input_player2_y_btn = “2”
    input_player2_select_btn = “7”
    input_player2_start_btn = “6”

No matter what I do, I only have control of the joysticks and the A & B buttons. Nothing more. It’s almost as if some other config file is being used. I ran jstest against js0 and js1, and they both show all the buttons and axis’ working as expected.

Is there a way to see what config file is being loaded? What should permissions be on all the retroarch config files?

Thanks!

feederchain
    Participant

My setup has the joystick mappings right in retroarch.cfg. Are there some there that take precedent? I haven’t upgraded my version of RetroPie since I got it all working. So maybe the config stuff has changed since I installed.

temecal
    Participant

[quote=101244]My setup has the joystick mappings right in retroarch.cfg. Are there some there that take precedent? I haven’t upgraded my version of RetroPie since I got it all working. So maybe the config stuff has changed since I installed.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. No, there aren’t any mappings in retroarch.cfg. Everything is commented out, and is using the config files in retroarch-joypad directory.

I also tried commenting out this line in the retroarch.cfg file:
    joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

…then I added the mapping directly to the retroarch.cfg file. Still no luck.

The retroarch-joypads directory is owned by pi:pi with 755 perms. My config files within that directory AND the retroarch.cfg file are both owned by pi:pi with 644 perms. The parent directory (/opt/retropie/configs/all) is also owned by pi:pi with perms 755. So, the user pi has read and write permission for everything. Can someone confirm the permissions on these files and directories?

I checked for any other “retroarch.cfg” files on the system, and didn’t find any others besides what is in /opt/retropie/configs/all/* (did via “find / -name ‘retroarch.cfg’). So, I don’t think any other config files are taking precedence.

As it sits today, I only have joystick operations and A/B button working now. It doesn’t matter what I do to the retroarch.cfg file, nothing changes.

Are there any logs for emulationstation or retropie? Can I add some debug flags to get more information on the config file being called? I don’t see any information being logged to /var/log/messages that are useful.

ekdor
    Participant

Floob has a few new YouTube videos outlining and explaining the configuration changes with the new v3 beta 4.

temecal
    Participant

[quote=101253]Floob has a few new YouTube videos outlining and explaining the configuration changes with the new v3 beta 4.

[/quote]

Fantastic! I just watched two mins of it on my phone and noticed a new configure file: es_input.cfg. Looks like this is the new confit file, but I’ll confirm tomorrow. Thanks for the help all, it’s really appreciated.

@feederchain
    – thanks for the new kernel. I can’t thank you enough for getting the two joy pads working!!

I’ll report back tomorrow.

ekdor
    Participant

No Problem.

temecal
    Participant

Ok, @ekdor was spot on. In v3 beta4, a different config file is used. Emulationstation now reads es_input.cfg within a hidden directory (/home/pi/.emulationstation/).

es_input.cfg is in XML format, and appears to call the /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/*.cfg files. Once I modified these two config files, everything is working now.

Huge thanks to @ekdor and @feederchain!

vellebelle
    Participant

Hi Vulga,

Thank you for the xsls file. I am using the xin-mo dual controller as well, and I want to ask you which one of the wiring drawings I should use. Should I just ignore the drawing that comes with the Xin-Mo (The one at the bottom in your xsls file) and set it up as you suggest? And then configure it in the retroarch.cfg?

Also – do you know if it matters if I use pin 9 or 18 as the ground?

Thanks in advance..

vorbild
    Participant

Hello,

I am configuring a Xin Mo Controller right now. But the Downloadlink seems to be down from your Dropbox. If you could upload the kernel again I would be very thankful. Thanks!

Edit:

Thank you very much Feederchain!!!!!!!! I love you!
    My Xin Mo is detecting now two controllers.
    For all: Here is the latest Kernel
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l96mgbsc2r8b7wf/custom_kernel_1.20150619-1.tar.gz?dl=0

johnprobe
    Participant

Thanks Feederchain. I just registered in this site to thank you. My Xin Mo is now working ..after 2 frustrating days of hair pulling I ran your Kernel and it’s working. I was close to putting the PI2 into a drawer and forgetting the whole thing.

feederchain
    Participant

Glad I could help. Awesome cabinet!

coccobanana88
    Participant

Don’t know if this fix can help me.
    First of all, I wired only player 1 buttons (6 action buttons + start and select = 8 buttons) on Xin-mo to test some games before building the cabinet.
    I have this problem: When I try to configure controls (with TAB on the keyboard) in mame4all Start (1P) and Select (coin) does not give input.
    After a research on internet I discover that mame4all support only controller with max 16 buttons (0 to 15). In jstest my action button are 10 to 15 and Start and select are 16 and 17. Probably this is my problem, but i don’t know how to fix it.

I have the latest version of retropie 3.0 (beta4)

Sorry for my english and thanks for your answers

nitrover
    Participant

Sorry found the new kernel, however whenever I run it and it reboots it cant open up emulation station for some reason? I have tried it on retropie 2.6 and retropie 3?

feederchain
    Participant

I haven’t heard of anyone else having this issue. I have not upgraded my version since when I uploaded the last kernel. Are you getting any type of output/error?

dezman7
    Participant

How did you fix this? I am having the same problem and I also want to transfer the kernal via a USB

dezman7
    Participant

How do you apply a kernal? I have it on a USB but now what happens? Thanks!!!

feederchain
    Participant

Does the USB key mount properly and everything? Can you see the downloaded file?

If so just run the commands found in the above post.

dezman7
    Participant

Oh no! The dropbox link has expired. I realized I had a bad usb stick, so I went to re-download the kernal and dropbox gives an error. Oh noooo!!!! “file has been deleted or moved”
    Oh noooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

feederchain
    Participant

Are you sure you are trying to download the one from this post?

It appears to still be working for me.

monchote
    Participant

Does anybody know whether this is fixed in 3.0?

hijinksensue
    Participant

I was wondering the same thing. Im about to run the 3.0 update script but not until I know if A) Xin-Mo comes pre-patched B) I need to Rematch it after the upgrade and C) if the current kernel patch will even work for 3.0.

feederchain
    Participant

I’ve had no experience with 3.0. The patch here is pretty small to the kernel. I can’t see anything that is in it would cause any issues to anything.

That being said. I have a couple micro sd cards lying around. I’ll try installing from scratch. I’ll let everyone know what I find with my adapter.

feederchain
    Participant

OK, I’ve checked and my controller adapter still has the issue where it doesn’t see the up and left directions. (I think I remember those correctly…. Anyway) So that means that one of the things I fixed (pulsing) doesn’t need to be in the kernel. So within the next couple days I’ll remove that part of the patch and try it with v3.0.

feederchain
    Participant

OK, had a chance to just compile the one change to hid-input.c (2 directions to working) and install it on my fresh install of v3.0. It all appears to work fine. Well at least the controller was recognized and setup fine in emulationstation. I only setup the first joystick. Didn’t setup the second.

Anyway here is the dropbox link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lty3yublbefr8r9/custom_kernel_1.20150818-1.tar.gz?dl=0

Same install instructions.

Viewing 35 posts - 106 through 140 (of 278 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.