Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

An Attract-mode is really missing in Retropie.
    One which can be set by the user for all the systems available or for a personal list of emulators, with a variable time setting per cycle (5, 10, 15, 30 minutes or so?)
    This could be activated as a screensaver, with or without sound.

zigurana
    Participant

Its an interesting idea, maybe not even all that difficult.
    Many games will display some kind of attract-mode behaviour when left at the startup menu for long enough. It should be doable to predefine games that show that behavior, and start those automatically from ES.

There are some usability issues though:
    1) what to do when the user returns? should the current games be sticky, or should the system return to ES menu?
    2) should the system switch games after some time (tricky) , or pick one randomly and keep with it (probably much easier).

denus
    Participant

I guess you should be able to start the current running game, and then you’ll be able to reach the menu as usual (perhaps an option: Exit to: Game or Menu).

Yes, I really would like the system to switch games randomly after a set period of time (also an option where you can set the time to 5, 15, 30 and more minutes).

And thereby, there should be an option to filter out some systems: for example you’re maybe not interested to see the Gameboy games during the attract mode, so you’ll have to remove the GB from the list of active emulators.

I know I would keep my system on more often with such an option: there’re so many games in my collection I’ve never played or even seen.

devil78
    Participant

Hi, i’ve compiled and installed form source in Retropie 3.2, u must install form source with some dependeces and xorg. There is an error in the wiki page but i’ve solved. xinit attractmode to start the frontend. I’ve made a personal menu for EmulationStation were is possible to start Attract Mode, and personal tool for install the GPIO Driver mk_arcade_joystick_rpi ecc.

Here you can see Attract Mode installed on my Bartop

tipoto
    Participant

Hmm… This request is not about Attract-Mode the frontend I think ;) it’s about having an “attract” mode showing random games after a few minutes of inactivity.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.