Reply To: Kid-friendly Retropie/ES (UI modes, favorites, hiding items) [B-TESTERS WANTED!]

Welcome Page Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Kid-friendly Retropie/ES (UI modes, favorites, hiding items) [B-TESTERS WANTED!] Reply To: Kid-friendly Retropie/ES (UI modes, favorites, hiding items) [B-TESTERS WANTED!]

Profile photo of zigurana
zigurana
Participant

Hey,
To close this off, I’ve tried to distill this thread into a wiki page:
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Child-friendly-EmulationStation

Regarding the uptake of this branch of ES into the RetroPie one, it is not going to happen anytime soon. This is completely understandable. The RetroPie core-team is very small and has to juggle a lot of balls to keep everything up to date.

The difference between the stock ES and this branch is rather large, with many small changes in a lot of files. Consequently, when any update occurs in the original ES branch (upstream), this might impact this branch as well. Therefore, the risk of a high maintenance burden when this branch would be fully incorporated was deemed too high.
Kid Mode ES will remain in the experimental packages menu, where it is available for all users who which to test it out.

For the foreseeable future this ES version will be maintained by me, merging in all relevant changes when they occur (or when someone alerts me to it).

Skip to toolbar