Reply To: Best way to run/manage roms stored in USB drive

Home Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Best way to run/manage roms stored in USB drive Reply To: Best way to run/manage roms stored in USB drive

Profile photo of smartroad
smartroad
Participant

I mounted my USB stick as ~/RetroPie/roms/

I formatted the disk to ext4 as it provided a good read/write speed compared to FAT (and I don’t plan on removing the drive anyway as I backup ROMs over the network).

Then I found the drives unique ID (UUID) with this command

ls /dev/disk/by-uuid

once before I plugged in the drive and once after to see which uuid appeared. Once I knew the uuid I opened the fstab file:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

which opened as

proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that

after /dev/mmcblk0p2 I added the line

UUID=44916713-0138-40f9-a7de-68266894bd20 /home/pi/RetroPie/roms auto defaults 0 2

this line is the UUID found in above, then the directory I want it to mount at, auto means automatically decide the filesystem, defaults is the default rw access (and some other stuff), 0 means don’t backup and 2 is the order for error checking. (See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab for more details).

Next you need to delete the current contents on the /rom/ directory (make sure you have backups!!) so that it is empty – mounting devices needs to have empty mount points. I used WinSCP as it was easier than using the command line.

Once the /rom/ directory is empty you just need to tell the system to remount the drives with

sudo mount -a

if you then type df -h you should see something like

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        15G  2.7G   12G  20% /
devtmpfs        364M     0  364M   0% /dev
tmpfs           368M     0  368M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           368M  5.3M  363M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           368M     0  368M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   57M   20M   38M  35% /boot
/dev/sda1        59G  3.8G   52G   7% /home/pi/RetroPie/roms

Maybe not the best way but works for me. One word of warning you have to unmount the drive manually if you want to take it out! Without doing it you will most likely end up with errors or data corruption. If the Pi is off then there is no issue taking it out.

Although I formatted the drive to ext4 there is no reason why you couldn’t format it as FAT and then you could still access it with a Windows PC to.

Not sure if this helps but was my solution 😀

Skip to toolbar