The RetroPie Team is always hard at work, coding and drinking coffee. And we are really good at… drinking coffee. Unfortunately we are not that good at graphic design. And we need your help.
There are many amazing talented people in our community and we wanted to give one lucky person a chance to become rock-star famous and win some great prizes by designing a logo for RetroPie.
So what are we looking for?
- Something that looks good small as well as in larger formats.
- Something that we could also use on merchandise, stationary and in publicity materials.
- Flexibility is important in colour as well as style.
- The logo should look good in b/w as well as in colour.
- No words should be incorporated other than the words “Retro Pie” with or without a space.
- Be generic enough to not favour or promote any one system or game.
- Be original work, cannot resemble or be derived from any other logo or copyrighted image.
- Submit in at least one vector format (AI, EPS, and/or SVG) and one 1000 px PNG.
- If using gradients and halftones they must be created within the vector file.
- The design must be CMYK colour space, no spot colours.
- No obscenities or offensive designs.
- We’re after something that will be recognisable.
- It should capture retro gaming as a whole.
- Avoid clichés or the obvious.
- The fewer colours you can use the better.
Please keep your file size under 3 MB once compressed, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org including your
- email address,
- postal address,
- age (we need your age to ensure you can enter into the legal contract that winning the competition will result in), and
- phone number.
The competition closes at midnight on 17.05.2015 UTC.
The prize winner will see their logo used (and will be able to claim bragging rights forever), and will receive a Raspberry Pi 2 with a sexy custom designed case made to look like a miniature arcade machine.
Please have a flick through the terms and conditions below before you enter. Every entry will be assumed to read and agreed to these terms.
We are aware of the fact that the following is longer as the first part of this post, but we do not want to get into any legal trouble. The following statements have already been used in other big logo competitions. Thanks for your understanding!
“Entry” means a logo design created by the Entrant for this Contest.
“Entrant” means the individual that offers the Entry under the terms of this Contest.
The Contest is open only to individuals. The Contest is not open to companies, educational institutions, organizations, etc. or to groups associated with such institutions.
Entrants must be of sufficient legal age and standing to enter into a contract with Florian Müller from PetRockBlock.com as required below.
HOW TO ENTER
- Initial entries must be submitted by email to email@example.com. The entries must be submitted as a scalable vector graphic in AI, EPS, or SVG format, and also as a PNG. See the Submission Guidelines below for further information.
- The email must include the name, age, postal address, phone number and email address of the Entrant.
- There is no limit on the number of entries that may be submitted by any one Entrant.
- Entries must conform to the Submission Guidelines set out below. Entries which fail to do so will be rejected.
- The deadline for Entries is midnight (one minute after 2359) on 17.05.2015 UTC.
- There is no fee to enter the Contest.
Because of the requirement to register the logo as a Trademark, Entrants should take care to ensure that their Entries are not in any way similar to existing logos or other copyrighted images. A logo that cannot be registered as a Trademark, no matter how well crafted, cannot win the Contest.
Due to the requirements for high quality printing and re-sizing Entries must submitted in scalable vector graphic format (AI, EPS, or SVG). We advise against the use of halftones and gradients unless created inside a vector graphics program. Color in this version must be CMYK, no spot colors.
A PNG 1000 pixels square of the logo is also requested so that entries can be posted to the PetRockBlock web site without the need for conversion.
The limit on attachment sizes for our email is 3 Mbs. If your submission exceeds this size, even after compression, please send the images individually and note clearly in your emails that you are doing so.
To recap, entry will consist of a minimum of 2 files and a maximum of 3 files:
the basic logo in
- AI, EPS, and/or SVG
- and PNG
Subject to the legal requirements outlined above, the winning design will probably be announced on http://blog.petrockblock.com/ on 31.05.2015 .
The winning designer will receive:
- A Raspberry Pi 2.
- A custom designed case made to look like a miniature arcade machine.
- The right to use the basic logo and identify him/herself as the logo designer.
JUDGING AND SELECTION OF WINNER
- The winning design will be selected by judges appointed for the purpose. Their decision will be final. No further correspondence shall be entered into.
- PetRockBlock reserves the right not to select a winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
- PetRockBlock reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or Entry at its sole discretion. No correspondence shall be entered into.
- The winner will be required to sign a contract assigning all ownership of the logo to Florian Müller from petRockBlock.com.
- Accepting the prize constitutes permission for PetRockBlock to make public and otherwise use the winner’s name and country of residence for publicity purposes. Further personal data may be requested but is not required.
- No exact timetable is set for the announcement of a winner due to the need to confirm that the winning entry can be registered as a Trademark.
- All submitted work must be original and not based on any pre-existing design.
- All Entries will become the sole property of Florian Müller from petRockBlock.com and may be displayed publicly on the web site.
- The winning entry might be registered by Florian Müller from petRockBlock.com as a Trademark and the Entrant agrees to transfer all right and title to the Entry to Florian Müller from petRockBlock.com in accordance with the Official Rules of this Contest.
Participation constitutes the Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Official Rules constitute the entire agreement between the Entrant and Florian Müller from petRockBlock.com in relation to the Contest. They govern the Entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the Entrant and Florian Müller and relating to the Contest.
Representations and Warranties
By participating in the Contest, the Entrant warrants and represents in connection with the Entry submitted as part of his/her participation in the Contest: (a) he/she is the sole and exclusive owner of (and free of any adverse claim by any person, firm, or corporation) all intellectual property rights in and to the Entry; (b) the Entry is original and the use of the Entry as described in these Official Rules will not infringe the proprietary rights, including without limitation the intellectual property rights, of any third party; (c) the use of the Entry, as described in these Official Rules, will be in compliance with any third-party licenses pertaining to the Entry; (d) the Entry is not obscene or libelous, and does not violate any rights of any third party, including but not limited to rights of privacy or publicity; (e) the Entry does not contain any virus, spyware, malware, trap door, worm, or any other device, mechanism or code that is injurious or damaging to software or hardware used in conjunction with the Entry; (f) the Entry and its use as described in these Official Rules will not violate any federal, provincial, state or local laws or ordinances; (g) no employer or educational or other establishment has any rights in the Entry; (h) the Entry is consistent with these Official Rules; and (i) he/she has the right to grant the license to Florian Müller from PetRockBlock as required in these Official Rules.
When any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the parties nevertheless agree that the Court should endeavour to give effect to the intentions of the parties as reflected in the provision, and that the other provisions of these Official Rules remain in full force and effect.
Indemnity; Disclaimer of warranties; Limitation of Liability
By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements and all decisions of petRockBlock.com. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless PetRockBlock and its officers, agents, affiliates, contractors, contributors, subsidiaries, licensors and distributors (“Retro Pie Entities”) from any and all liability, claims, or actions of any kind, including, without limitation, property damage, personal injury, and/or death, arising out of his/her (i) breach of any representation, warranty or covenant contained in these Official Rules; or (ii) participation in the Contest; (iii) acceptance and/or use or misuse of any prize in connection with the Contest; or (iv) any third party claim relating to any rights in any design submitted.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, THE ENTRANT AGREES THAT RETROPIE ENTITIES MAKE NO WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE OF ANY KIND, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATING TO THE CONTEST AND/OR THE PRIZES.
By participating in the Contest, the Entrant agrees that Florian Müller from PetRockBlock is not responsible, and will in no event be held liable, for any: (a) lost, late, illegible, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, corrupted or garbled entries; (b) telephone, computer, or network malfunction or error; (c) communication disruption or other disruptions related to Internet traffic, virus, bug, worm, or non-authorized intervention; or (d) damage caused by a computer virus or otherwise resulting to any computer from the submission of entries. If such malfunction, error, disruption, or damage occurs or impairs the administration, security, fairness, or integrity of the Contest, PetRockBlock may, in its sole discretion, suspend, modify or terminate the Contest by posting a notice at http://blog.petrockblock.com/. If the Contest is terminated before the scheduled end of the Contest Period, PetRockBlock will determine the winner from all eligible entries received as of the termination date. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest, or whom PetRockBlock believes to be causing or attempting or intending to cause any malfunction, error, disruption, or damage will be disqualified. PetRockBlock reserves the right to disqualify any unauthorised entries.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING HEREIN TO THE CONTRARY, AND ONLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY THE APPLICABLE LAW, BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, THE ENTRANT AGREES THAT IN NO EVENT WILL RETROPIE OR ANY RETRO PIE ENTITY BE LIABLE TO ENTRANTS OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, REGARDLESS OF THE BASIS OR NATURE OF THE CLAIM, RELATING IN ANY MANNER TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, THE CONTEST OR THE ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION THEREIN, EVEN IF RETROPIE OR A RETROPIE ENTITY WERE EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ALSO NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING HEREIN TO THE CONTRARY, BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, THE ENTRANT FURTHER AGREES THAT IN NO EVENT WILL THE LIABILITY OF RETROPIE OR ANY RETROPIE ENTITY RELATING IN ANY MANNER TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, THE CONTEST OR THE ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION THEREIN EXCEED THE GREATER OF UK£1,000 OR ANY OTHER AMOUNTS PAID BY THE ENTRANT TO ENTER INTO THE CONTEST. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CERTAIN INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO THE ENTRANT. IN THE EVENT THAT THE PRECEDING RELEASE IS DETERMINED BY A COURT OF COMPETENT JURISDICTION TO BE INVALID OR VOID FOR ANY REASON, THE ENTRANT AGREES THAT, BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, (I) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND CAUSES OR ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZES AWARDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; AND (II) ANY CLAIMS, JUDGEMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, INCLUDING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THE CONTEST, BUT IN NO EVENT ATTORNEY’S FEES.
For the avoidance of doubt, to the extent that German law applies, nothing in these Official Rules shall limit or exclude either party’s liability for fraud, or for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or any other liability to the extent such liability cannot be excluded or limited as a matter of law.
Interpretation; Governing Law; Jurisdiction
Interpretation. In the case of any dispute about the interpretation of the Rules, PetRockBlock’s decision as to the interpretation shall be final and Entrant shall be bound by PetRockBlock’s decision.
Governing Law. The interpretation and enforcement of these Official Rules will be governed by the laws of Germany, except to the extent required to be governed by the local law in the place of residence of an Entrant. The Contest is subject to all applicable, as the case may be, national, federal, provincial, state and local laws. The Entrant and PetRockBlock agree to the extent permitted by law to submit all disputes arising out of or relating to these Official Rules or the Contest to, and hereby waive any objection to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of Germany. Subject to Section 5 above, if necessary any provision of these Official Rules which is found to be invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction shall be deemed to be struck out from these Official Rules.
The Entrant agrees that the ability to participate in the Contest and to compete for the prizes offered in connection with the Contest constitute, where required, sufficient consideration for the Entrant’s obligations under these Official Rules.