Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve played with RetroPie on and off for a bit – I’d play with it a bit to try to get it working, then give up for a while when I got frustrated – never got it working quite right, so I started playing with it again last night. In the past, I was able to get the controller to connect up properly (It would sync up and the P1 led would light properly), but I always had trouble actually getting it to work properly in RetroPie. Now, on 1.10, It actually works most of the way in retroPie, but it won’t stop flashing all the leds, even though it seems to be ‘working’. What am I missing?

The other thing with it is in the main interface, not all of the buttons are working – for example, I can scroll left and right in the emulator and if I stop on the NES emulator, I can scroll down, but I cannot scroll back up. I think I stumbled upon the config, but I can’t find how to assign the buttons again.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

rm /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg

To reset the input config (requires reboot)

Regarding the controller issues I have no idea, it keeps flashing even though you can navigate Emulation Station?

cougar281
    Participant

[quote=7190]
    Regarding the controller issues I have no idea, it keeps flashing even though you can navigate Emulation Station?
    [/quote]

Yes – The controller functions, but the four leds keep flashing as if its searching for the USB receiver.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Hmm, strange. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a faulty usb cable. Try another power source if you can. Also it could be the batteries but i’m sure you’ve already tried that.

cougar281
    Participant

Well, To be honest, I had not tried batteries, but I did and no change – I also tried a different P/S for the Pi, but that didn’t help (I’m using a cheap 1A supply, and I switched over to a powered hub that can deliver MUCH more). I plugged the receiver into my PC and it tagged up right away, so I’m pretty sure it’s simething in the Pi’s config.

cougar281
    Participant

Well, with input from my other threads, I now have a RetroPie emulator that’s pretty close to 100% what I am looking for – SNES did seem to have ‘funky’ sound (at least in Tetris – Super Mario World seemed fine, so maybe they just changed the music for SNES Tetris), which might be related to another post I read, but NES works perfectly now. RetroPie has come a long way from what it was last time I played with it – last time, I got the controller to be detected right, but I never got button mappings working right or games working right – this time around, although the controller is being ‘flaky’, it does work and the games work right. If we can figure out why the controller(s) don’t init right, it would be darn near a perfect retro emulation platform IMO.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

All I can suggest is to follow the instructions in the wiki (section 1): https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller

cougar281
    Participant

[quote=7219]All I can suggest is to follow the instructions in the wiki (section 1): https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller[/quote]

I have used that – I used Method 3 (The init script) – I did notice, however, that when I do ‘service xboxdrv status’, the response I get is ‘env: /etc/init.d/xboxdrv: No such file or directory’ – the ‘xboxdrv’ is in /etc/init.d, I had run ‘chmod +x xboxdrv’ and ‘update-rc.d xboxdrv start’ and the ‘xboxdrv’ file that needs to be in ‘/etc/default’ is there as well – so I have NO idea what file it claims isn’t there…

trimmtrabb
    Participant

I used method 1 and no issues, try doing it that way?

cougar281
    Participant

So I did some more playing around – it would seem the 1.10 SD image is messed up in some way. When I simply tried to run ‘xboxdrv’, I got an error that indicated that something was conflicting – it told me to run ‘rmmod xpad’. After doing that and manually running xboxdrv, the controller tagged up properly. Even with doing that, I could not get the service to start. Upon reboot, it would seem ‘xpad’ was starting and preventing xboxdrv from starting as it went back to all four LEDs flashing. And worse than that, when I tried to boot RetroPie with my powered USB hub attached, it crashed every boot – without it, it boots fine. Hub works fine with Rasbian.

I then re-imaged the card with stock Raspian, installed xboxdrv, configured the service and config file specified in method 3 and…. It Worked!

The way I read it, using method 1, the controller(s) must be on before you boot the RPi. With method 3, you can turn the controller on after it’s booted and it’ll tag up.

I might be biting off more than I can chew here, but I then got the ‘retropie setup script’ and currently have it running an install… We’ll see if it still works after installing RetroPie…

Edit: Well, that was a fail. It ‘completed’ the install, but when I try to run emulationstation, I get an error indicating it can’t load the shared library ‘libboost_system.so.1.49.0’ :(

Steve
    Participant

” it told me to run ‘rmmod xpad’. After doing that and manually running xboxdrv”

Yes you need to black list xpad so there is no conflict with xboxdrv

be sure to follow https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller instructions.
    I prefer method 3 emulators don’t lag that way.

if you follow method: http://www.libregeek.org/2014/03/13/retropie-installation-guide-for-the-raspberry-pi/
    be sure to add –dpad-as-button in the script if you wish to you both dpad and joystick in you emulators although with this method I couldn’t get a wired and wireless xbox controller to work at the same time. the one above works amazingly.

cougar281
    Participant

I got my controllers working perfectly using method 3 by building a RetroPie image from scratch. The 1.10 image has ‘issues’. First there’s the xboxdrv not working right without ‘blackisting’ xpad, but the much bigger issue (in my case) is that with the 1.10 image, my Pi crashed on bootup every time with my (powered) USB hub attached. Booted fine if the hub wasn’t attached, and no problems whatsoever with the Raspian Wheezy image and the hub attached. Setting up RetroPie from scratch had its own set of issues, the main one being the setup simply doesn’t work out of the box. It tries to install packages using the -y switch, but a LOT of packages couldn’t be verified, so MANY failed. I had to modify all of the scripts to add ‘–force-yes’ to every ‘apt-get’ command. After I did that, RP installed and works. The only thing remaining is the audio over HDMI sucks – mostly crackling.

einbrecher
    Participant

I did ran into a few issues with Method 3 using the RetroPie v2.3 SD image that I managed to fix

– Make sure you’ve got the right end-of-line characters in the files. I had copied the scripts into notepad++ on windows and transferred it via thumb drive to the RaspberryPi. Nano didn’t show anything amiss in the file, but when I opened it in vi, I could see them. Clearing them out seemed to get me over the last hump to get the daemon service running

– Blacklist the xpad service (don’t have to remove it). Add “blacklist xpad” to the file /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf

– I ran into something saying that xboxdrv needed root permissions for some things, meaning you needed your user to be in the root group (which is a bit of a security risk, usually), however I’ve since removed myself from the root group and things still run fine.

– I also did not have to use the dwc_otg.speed=1 fix (I tried it once, but it stopped my keyboard from working and I had to start over from scratch)

– I’ve kept my keyboard plugged in the whole time and didn’t notice anything weird about the indexing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.