Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok, so I’ve been having a problem with my pi all night here. I bought it from a friend who couldn’t get his controller to map and just gave up on it. I formatted the SD card and downloaded a new img of retropie. I wrote the image using Win32 Disk Imager with no issues. When I put the card in the pi and boot it up it launches into emulationstation just fine and prompts me to configure my controls. I’m going to be using an XBOX controller so I just set up the keyboard for now. I then <alt>F4to the command prompt and hit up the config to expand the file system to use all of the 8GB card. It does its thing and says that the next time the pi reboots it will use all of the card. Well, when I reboot the pi I end up staring at that colorful splash screen indefinitely and the unit only shows one red light. Nothing else happens. It just won’t boot.

I reformatted the card and wrote the image again and tried another time. It booted fine into retropie the first time but as soon as I expanded the system and rebooted, same thing. The funny thing is, when I first got it from him it booted fine onto this card with the expanded system. I just never could get my XBOX controller to hook up right so I decided to start fresh. Any ideas, folks? I’ve followed every youtube tutorial I’ve come across.

Mike

InsecureSpike
    Participant

is your controller plugged in when you boot? if so unplug it and try boot again, I had a similar issue, but bought a powered hub and all was good

shortbuskid
    Participant

I thought that too, so I unplugged the controller and gave it another go. Same story. I even let it alone thinking it was just slow to boot but after 15 minutes there was no change other than that rainbow square staring back at me. I almost wonder if I should go about it the hard (and old school) way and just install raspbian to the card, expand the file structure through that and then download retropie through commands. I just really don’t wanna do it like that.

Mike

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Could be a SD dodgy card, I had lots of problems with my 4GB SD so I now run off USB which is much more reliable in my experience. If you have a spare USB drive that has a decent read/write speed there’s a guide here:

If you want to persevere with the SD card try using Paragon Partition Manager to resize, there’s a free trial and works very well with ext4

shortbuskid
    Participant

I’ll try out the USB stick when I get home. The only problem is my USB sticks are actually just USB readers of micro SD cards. Would that give me the same issue I’m having? I would rather use the SD card to keep free a USB port. Does Paragon have to be run before installing retropie or afterwards?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Oh right, not really ideal as I expect the read/write speeds of the USB reader/micro SD won’t be great but it would be useful to see if the SD card is causing the issue or not. Regarding Paragon Partition Manager put a new image of RetroPie on your SD and then open Paragon and resize it.

shortbuskid
    Participant

Tried giving Paragon a go but it doesn’t seem to recognize my Linux file system on the card. Looked up some other instructions on how to do this, it seems maybe they don’t support linux in the demo now. Weird…

RetroMarine
    Participant

Are you using a 4 gig sd card? That’s not enough space from my experience…the retropie image takes up most of that space all by itself…try at least an 8gig, resize it, then try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trimmtrabb
    Participant

The free version of Paragon Partition Manager doesn’t support ext4 but the home version does, free trial here: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/download.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.