Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I have a complete collection of boxart thanks to moviesnaps website and am want to use these installed of spending hour scrapping them automatically from within Emulation Station. Is it possible to use you own artwork at all?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

up it sure is, i’d suggest naming your art to correspond with the rom you want it to match to, then add to your gamelist.xml.

something like so…

<game>
    	<path>./Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.smc</path>
    	<name>Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars</name>
    	<image>./Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars.jpg</image>
    </game>

roms and art in the same folder and yer set

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks!. So for example megadrive box art i need to place my box art in the same folder as the roms and make sure they are named the same as the roms??

Is it possible to just scrap the game info and not artwork?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

yup i have, if you name the images the same as the rom name, i found it easier to note if i was missing any art

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm ok i just tested this. Place both’Alien 3.md’ and ‘Alien 3.png’ into the megadrive rom folder but no artwork is showing up for Alien 3!. Any ideas?

chooky536
    Participant

did you get a fix for this? if not im in the same boat looking to get it to use my local boxart

Anonymous
    Inactive

artwork doesn’t go in the folder with the rom. it actually goes in a hidden folder at:
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images

and there’s XML files in
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/
    ..a folder for each system, and each of those will have the path to the exact name of your rom and the artwork.

hope that helps!

chooky536
    Participant

so for each system edit the xml files or each game? and thankyou i have all my art setup as i run a hyperspin setup on another cabinet so its all named correctly

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s how I’ve done it. I let the system scrape, then I only had a handful that I either didn’t like the artwork or it was missing. Not sure what the best way is to use ALL your own.

Once you get that Xml thing sorted out though, it’ll make more sense. :-)

chooky536
    Participant

i just looked at it……in the mame one i got 8012 games and each one has a line <image>where its located<image> which seems to me that i would have to edit these lines with the filename of my art, i think it may just use the built-in scaper maybe if i have to do this

InsecureSpike
    Participant

all my art work is in the rom folders an i have no issues with any of it, if you have your paths set out right in the gamelists.xml you can have your art work anywhere you like, within reason

[quote=91099]artwork doesn’t go in the folder with the rom. it actually goes in a hidden folder at:
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/downloaded_images

and there’s XML files in
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/
    ..a folder for each system, and each of those will have the path to the exact name of your rom and the artwork.

hope that helps!
    [/quote]

chooky536
    Participant

-<gameList>

-<game>

<path>./10-Yard Fight (USA, Europe).nes</path>

<name>10-Yard Fight</name>

<desc>The game is viewed in a top-down perspective and is vertical scrolling. The player does not select plays for either offense or defense. On offense, the player simply receives the ball upon the snap and either attempt to run with the quarterback, toss the ball to one of two running backs, or throw the ball to the one long distance receiver – basically the option offense. On defense, the player chooses one of two players to control, and the computer manipulates the others. The ball can also be punted or a field goal can be attempted.</desc>

<image>~/.emulationstation/downloaded_images/nes/10-Yard Fight (USA, Europe)-image.jpg</image>

<rating>0.1</rating>

<releasedate>19851018T000000</releasedate>

<developer>Irem</developer>

<publisher>Taito</publisher>

<genre>Sports</genre>

<players>2</players>

this is the nes gamelist only one game so i have to go through each one and change it to where my boxart resides? or can i change them all at the same time to point to a folder of all artwork named the same? sorry for the noobness comming out of me here but we all start somewhere

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.