Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys,
    I got my game system up and running by following this guide: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192

Everything is running great, but I am experiencing some odd behavior with 2x controllers….

Here is an example: I have both controllers plugged in…. I navigate to SNES -> Super Mario All Stars and start playing. The 1 player controller no longer works in the game, you have to switch over to the 2nd player controller to play the game. However, if you want to use the features for saving state, loading state, exiting game (“select”+”start”, “select”+”R”, “select+”L”) this does not work on the 2nd player controller, so you have to do this stuff on the 1st player controller.

I hope this makes sense. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone help me figure out whats going on? Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated!

Floob

Does this help?

fistwielder
    Participant

The issue with the first and second player controllers swapping in Super Mario All Stars is a known emulator issue. This also occurs when using pisnes. I’m not aware of a known fix at this time.

mahonroy
    Participant

[quote=85066]The issue with the first and second player controllers swapping in Super Mario All Stars is a known emulator issue. This also occurs when using pisnes. I’m not aware of a known fix at this time.[/quote]

I see… is there just a certain group of roms that this affects? Because it doesn’t happen to all games right?

Floob

The video above explains why one controller might not work as player one when using auto files. It also confirms that player 1 has control of the hotkeys when using auto files.

I’ll try All Stars in a moment, but I’m pretty sure it works fine with 2 controllers

mahonroy
    Participant

[quote=85070]The video above explains why one controller might not work as player one when using auto files. It also confirms that player 1 has control of the hotkeys when using auto files.

I’ll try All Stars in a moment, but I’m pretty sure it works fine with 2 controllers
    [/quote]

Did you get a chance to check it out? I’m going to watch the video in the morning to see what is different with my configuration.

Floob

Yep – worked ok for me. Is there a specific test I should try?

Which game in all stars do you play?

mahonroy
    Participant

[quote=85104]Yep – worked ok for me. Is there a specific test I should try?

[/quote]

Ok try this: Boot up system with both controllers plugged in. Using player 1 controller, navigate to Super Mario All Stars – play Super Mario Bros. 3. Once the game starts, the controls no longer work… you have to switch over to player 2 controller (which is actually acting as player 1). However, the “select”+”start”, “select”+”R”, “select”+”L” controls don’t work on this controller, but they do work on the original player 1 controller (this is the only controls that do work on this controller).

fistwielder
    Participant

It only occurs with a few specific SNES ROMs, no matter what emulator you use. Super Mario All Stars happens to be one of them. It has to do with the way those ROMs uniquely assign controller inputs. As far as I’m aware nobody has come up with a real fix, but I’d be very grateful if someone did.

Floob

[quote=85118]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Floob wrote:</div>
    Yep – worked ok for me. Is there a specific test I should try?

Ok try this: Boot up system with both controllers plugged in. Using player 1 controller, navigate to Super Mario All Stars – play Super Mario Bros. 3. Once the game starts, the controls no longer work… you have to switch over to player 2 controller (which is actually acting as player 1). However, the “select”+”start”, “select”+”R”, “select”+”L” controls don’t work on this controller, but they do work on the original player 1 controller (this is the only controls that do work on this controller).
    [/quote]

Well to start with, I dont think EmulationStation has a concept of player1 and player2, it just has controllers it will let navigate menus.

Have you entered the hotkeys on the auto config file for your second player joypad – that should then exit without issue. I wouldnt hardcode them in the retroarch.cfg – unless you have a reason to?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.