Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I have a raspberry pi 1 version B. Currently I am running retropie 2.3 and was wondering about upgrading to 2.6 or 3.0. I have everything set up how I like it currently and do not really want to loose my settings. But I can re do things if I need to.

What is everyone’s opinion on upgrading, will it make much difference if I upgrade? Also, should I get the new image or just do a binary update (will it screw things up going from 2.3 to 2.6 or 3.0)? I generally only play SNES, NES, and SEGA games and they all run well with my current set up.

One of my other considerations is to buy a new raspberry pi 2, but again, I am unsure if it will really make much difference for what I would use it for. If I buy a pi 2 can I simply put my old SD from my pi 1 into it and everything will work the same?

Please let me know if you have any opinions or tips.

Thanks!

herbfargus

Updating from 2.3 to 2.6 or 3.0 BETA is quite a change with how much has changed with retropie since then (see changelog https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Changelogs) A lot has changed including locations for files so it is very likely that you’d have to sort out your configs again- but if you are worried about that you can just create a back up of your sd card with win32diskimager so if its not what you’d like you can always just go back. Here’s my advice- if you are only playing nes, snes, and sega, you could probably get away with just a raspberry pi B. But I bought a Pi 2 and I love it. it boots much faster, the games run smoother, it has more emulator options because of its increased processing power. You couldn’t just put in your current SD card without running a few updates on it to make it compatible for the Rpi 2.

If I were in your shoes- I’d order a Raspberry Pi 2- by the time it gets here it is likely the next beta will be released (hopefully in the next week or two) Then I would install the newest RetroPie SD image and set up your configurations again. The newest beta will have a retropie menu in emulationstation (which was added with sd image 2.6) which enables you to configure wifi a lot easier with a program called wicd-curses, access the retropie setup script, raspi-config etc., a controller configuration will be built into emulationstation station that pipes your input into retroarch configs as well so the first controller configuration option will be the only one you should have to configure for the most part rather than having to go through the retroarch joyconfig, etc. and as you load a game you can press x or m on a keyboard and choose the default emulator you want to use if there are multiple emulators (For SNES there are at least 5…)

At the very least, if you’re interested in testing some of the latest features you can back up your sd card, update your setup script, and do a full binary install. See if the new features are worth it to you, and if not you can always just reimage your card with a backup.

Floob just made a good video explaining how the configs work in the latest beta:

dirtbagx
    Participant

Well. I think i decided i am going to buy a pi 2 and put the newest retropie image on it. I’ll find another use for my other pi. Thanks for your input.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.