Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Migrating from 2.2 to 2.3

If you are looking to migrate from 2.2 to 2.3, it is much easier to copy files off the old image using winscp (or something similar), then copy them back into place in 2.3. Save these files:

/opt/retropie/configs/all/*
    /etc/emulationstation/es_system.cfg
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/*

Your saved games are located in the roms folder, if you’d prefer to only save those (since I hope you backup your roms elsewhere!)

—–

Fresh Build

1) Download the latest version of RetroPie’s SD image. This document is based off version 2.3.

https://www.petrockblock.com/download/retropie-project-image/

2) Download and use Win32 Disk Imager to apply the above SD image to a 4 GB or larger SD card. 8 GB is really recommended.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

3) Boot the SD Image on your Raspberry Pi.

4) The first time the system boots up into Emulation Station, you will need to setup your joystick.

5) If this is a new Pi, you’ll probably want to update to the latest firmware and reboot. You may need to use a wired cable even if you plan on using wifi.

sudo rpi-update
    sudo reboot
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

6) I purchased a EW-7811Un USB wifi, which is supported by the Raspberry Pi out of the box. I also have a TL-WN725N, which can be setup as follows:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=462982#p462982

tar -zxvf 8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz
    sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
    sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
    sudo depmod -a

7) Now we need to setup wifi. Edit /etc/network/interfaces to configure wlan0.

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-ssid zInternet
    wpa-psk *******

8) Before we can move to configuring everything via SSH, we need to configure our joystick for the emulators themselves.

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

9) Grab the IP address and SSH into the device to continue configuration. The default user/password that comes with Raspbian is used: The username is “pi”, the password is “raspberry”.

10) Let’s setup the player 2 controller for our emulators before we forget.

cd /opt/retropie/configs/all/
    vi retroarch.cfg

Copy and paste the entire section that begins with “input_player1_” and change it to “input_player2_”. Don’t forget to change the “input_player_joypad_index” to 1 or 2 as well.

Note: If you have a keyboard connected, things can be a little odd. You may need to change the joypad index to 0 and 1 if you remove the keyboard, which I’m going to do.

At the end of the retroarch.cfg file, it is a good idea to add the following to allow you to press select+start to exit the game.

input_enable_hotkey_btn = "8"
    input_exit_emulator_btn = "9"

I also like to take advantage of the save and load states in emulation, which some people consider cheating. Add the following lines to enable these buttons on your joypad.

input_save_state_btn = "5"
    input_load_state_btn = "4"

After this has been done, you can hold select and press the L and R paddles to save and load states respectively. I also like to add some in-game volume control.

input_volume_up_axis = "-1"
    input_volume_down_axis = "+1"

11) Run configuration.

sudo raspi-config

12) Change password.

13) Change Memory-split to 384.

14) Set your time zone and localization options, then configure the keyboard keymap. I used en_US.UTF-8.

15) Expand root file system to fill entire SD card.

16) Force audio out of audio jack (instead of HDMI).

17) Exit from tool and reboot.

18) SSH back in (if you are using DHCP, the resizing of the file system can cause an IP change).

19) Now copy your Roms to the SMB shares (ex. \\RaspberryPi\snes is where the Super Nintendo ROMs go).

20) All done? Reboot and game on.

sudo reboot

21) Start up any Genesis/Megadrive game and press F1 on the keyboard. Go through the options and select “6-button controller” for Sega Genesis. Save the config.

22) And once you are happy for a few days, go back into “raspi-config” and overclock your pi, if you are feeling daring. It will iron out some of the annoying blips in audio. I purchased a few heat sinks just in case. I go turbo without issue.

FJGonzalez

How do you force audio out of the audio jack instead of through HDMI while having video forced out of HDMI?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re: 13) Change Memory-split to 384.
    If you have a model A RPi or an early model B with only 256 meg of memory then I’d advise changing this to 128. (The default is 258 and can lead to games stuttering due to lack of memory if you have one of these systems)

FJGonzalez – there are a couple of methods. If you got to Step 11, then whilst using sudo raspi-config, go to advanced options. It should be possible to select output here. Alternatively, it can be set through retropie-setup or set manually.

Tanner

zsprawl,

I’ve noticed in this guide that you didn’t switch the default SNES emulator to Pisnes.

Are you no longer having the issues mentioned in your 2.2 guide?

I’m currently having problems with the sound and some games playing slowly using PocketSnes. Have you done anything to your configuration to fix these issues?

I’d rather not go through the trouble of switching emulators and reconfiguring (I’ve had trouble setting up Pisnes as well and can’t figure that out).

Thanks.

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=20990]zsprawl,

I’ve noticed in this guide that you didn’t switch the default SNES emulator to Pisnes.

Are you no longer having the issues mentioned in your 2.2 guide?

I’m currently having problems with the sound and some games playing slowly using PocketSnes. Have you done anything to your configuration to fix these issues?

I’d rather not go through the trouble of switching emulators and reconfiguring (I’ve had trouble setting up Pisnes as well and can’t figure that out).

Thanks.
    [/quote]

That is correct. Once I overclock the Pi to Turbo, snes emulation runs smooth for me, and I like being able to play some of the newer games like Yoshi’s Island.

You can also do what some people have done, which is to copy the snes section twice in the es_system.cfg file. This way you can run both emulators depending upon which game you want to play.

Tanner

You can also do what some people have done, which is to copy the snes section twice in the es_system.cfg file. This way you can run both emulators depending upon which game you want to play.

Tanner

Ok, that actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea.

Here are the issues I’m having, though.

1. Once I edit the es_systems.cfg to allow Pisnes and the standard RetroArch emulators to run separately, how do I properly configure my controllers for Pisnes?

2. Where do I place the ROMs that are specifically for Pisnes?

These have been the aforementioned problems I had trying to set up Pisnes from your 2.2 guide.

Thanks in advance for any help, zsprawl.

Tanner

*UPDATE*

I copied my SNES section twice in es_systems.cfg, but Pisnes doesn’t show in my emulation station, just the RetroArch emulator. I’m really lost here…

deaftolight
    Participant

Does using the audio out jack give better performance than through HDMI? I prefer to use HDMI because it’s less wires, but if not doing that gives a performance boost, I will gladly change my setup.

Verosend

I’m trying to run step #8, but get the error:
    “Couldn’t open joystick #1.”

Any ideas? Its a fresh build

Haris

2.3 image has many bugs:( i ll stay in 2.2

deaftolife: i guess you are going to need earphones/speakers when using the audio out jack?

deaftolight
    Participant

[quote=22238]2.3 image has many bugs:( i ll stay in 2.2

deaftolife: i guess you are going to need earphones/speakers when using the audio out jack?
    [/quote]

I’m guessing I would need separate speakers, which would also be an inconvenience. But I’m wondering if there’s a performance increase, and if so, if it even makes a difference.

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=21980]I’m trying to run step #8, but get the error:
    “Couldn’t open joystick #1.”

Any ideas? Its a fresh build
    [/quote]

Try -j 0 or 2.

sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=22334]I’m guessing I would need separate speakers, which would also be an inconvenience. But I’m wondering if there’s a performance increase, and if so, if it even makes a difference.
    [/quote]

I do not know of a performance increase. I do it merely because that is what my monitor supports.

lunarkingdom
    Participant

when I get to this part:

I get: no such file or directory

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=25609]when I get to this part:

I get: no such file or directory
    [/quote]

Do each one independently. Where do you get stuck?

cd /opt
    cd retropie
    cd emulators
    cd RetroArch
    cd installdir
    cd bin

lunarkingdom
    Participant

I got to cd retroarch until it told me “no such file or directory”

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=25791]I got to cd retroarch until it told me “no such file or directory”[/quote]

Type “ls” and see what is there. Also, make sure you type RetroArch (it’s case sensitive).

lunarkingdom
    Participant

It was case sensitive thank you very much! I did the ls and it listed configs, installdir, readme.md, retroarch.cfg and shader

lunarkingdom
    Participant

OK so I got to the part where it says:

found joypad driver: udev
    using joypad: 2nd arcade GPIO controller B+

Joypads tend to have stale state after opened.
    press some buttons and move some axis around to make sure joypad state is completely neutral before proceeding.
    when done press enter…

It seemed neutral as nothing was happening so I hit enter and it says:

Configuring binds for player #1 for joypad #1

B button (down)

I then map my control buttons BUT there are more to do than my game pad has so I just used the last button over and over until it was done, how do I open the file I just wrote to for editing?

lunarkingdom
    Participant

I did ls in that folder and this is what is in it:

retroarch, retroarch-cg2g1sl, retroarch-joycionfig, retroarch-zip, retrolaunch

lunarkingdom
    Participant

I assume to setup joystick 1 all I have to do is change:

sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

to:

sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

I tried to SSH in through my iMac but was not having much luck, so I did this on the Pi:

cd /opt/retropie/configs/all/
    vi retroarch.cfg

and it opened the config file BUT I can not seem to edit it, is there a way for me to edit it from the Pi without using SSH as it would not connect for some reason (I already checked if it was enabled in raspy-config and it was)

lunarkingdom
    Participant

Answered my own question:

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

lunarkingdom
    Participant

And both controllers now work! My final question is:

when I open the config file like this:

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

for some reason shift and ” does not make this character I am trying to add your hotkeys and can type everything but the ” ” around the hot key, am I missing something or is it detecting my wireless keyboard incorrectly?

EDIT: Fixed, I noticed when I hit shift and ” it produced @ so I tried shift and 2 and got ” ;-)

lunarkingdom
    Participant

EDIT: User error sorry ;-)

lunarkingdom
    Participant

What is the path to es_config,cfg as I would like to:

sudo nano /enter path here/es_config.cfg

so I can add the other controller and have either one control emulation station.

zsprawl
    Participant

[quote=25923]What is the path to es_config,cfg as I would like to:

sudo nano /enter path here/es_config.cfg

so I can add the other controller and have either one control emulation station.
    [/quote]

/etc/emulationstation/ I believe

Joery

Hi. In step 5 you are saying, if this is a new pie you probably have to update it. What do you mean with new pie. I’ve installed the latest 2.3 version but do I still need to update it if so is that the update that will take like 15 hours?

jamcinty
    Participant

excellent guide! ive got a question though. im trying to change the button layout for megadrive and fba. ive changed it at the following

/opt/retropie/configs/fba/retroarch.cfg

and

/opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg

both say that what is coded here will override

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

however it defaults back. any ideas?

thanks!

Joery

Oke ive desided to empty my sd card copyed te image on it again and
    started over with your guide.
    And it worked!!!

But next problem!

Im using an ps1 controller with a usb converter(in a usbHub)
    al te buttons work accept for three buttons.
    the x,square,and the circle wont respond in the emulator.
    they do work in the emulationcenter.
    ive checked the retroarch.cfg and al the buttons are in there.
    so what can be this problem?

neither the less thanks for your guide! helped me already so much!!!

Jordan McNally

# Keyboard input, Joypad and Joyaxis will all obey the “nul” bind, which disables the bind completely,
    # rather than relying on a default.
    input_player1_a = x
    input_player1_b = z
    input_player1_y = a
    input_player1_x = s
    input_player1_start = enter
    input_player1_select = rshift
    input_player1_l = q
    input_player1_r = w
    input_player1_left = left
    input_player1_right = right
    input_player1_up = up
    input_player1_down = down
    # input_player1_l2 =
    # input_player1_r2 =
    # input_player1_l3 =
    # input_player1_r3 =

# Two analog sticks (DualShock-esque).
    # Bound as usual, however, if a real analog axis is bound,
    # it can be read as a true analog.
    # Positive X axis is right, Positive Y axis is down.
    # input_player1_l_x_plus =
    # input_player1_l_x_minus =
    # input_player1_l_y_plus =
    # input_player1_l_y_minus =
    # input_player1_r_x_plus =
    # input_player1_r_x_minus =
    # input_player1_r_y_plus =
    # input_player1_r_y_minus =

# If desired, it is possible to override which joypads are being used for player 1 through 8.
    # First joypad available is 0.
    # input_player1_joypad_index = 0
    # input_player2_joypad_index = 1
    # input_player3_joypad_index = 2
    # input_player4_joypad_index = 3
    # input_player5_joypad_index = 4
    # input_player6_joypad_index = 5
    # input_player7_joypad_index = 6
    # input_player8_joypad_index = 7

how much of this do I copy to add a second controller? Can I add it to the end like the exit game code? How do you save/exit the retroarch file from putty through ssh?
    Any help would be awesome as I’m new to this(you can probably tell)

Thanx So Much!

Ryan collette

Any idea How to use the old school scanlines look i believe was an option prior to the update?

borlandoflorida
    Participant

[quote=46012]Any idea How to use the old school scanlines look i believe was an option prior to the update? [/quote]

I think this is within the emulator options menu (accessed usually by pressing F1 on your keyboard once the game is up and running) under the video settings. You can choose various “shaders” from in here and make them look more “retro” this way.

Hope this helps.

cheebs

Would you recommend switching to VGA mode?

/boot/config.txt

hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=1
    overscan_scale=1

Ryan collette

So when i load a megadrive game and press F1 nothing happens. No menu. Anyone have any idea whats up?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 47 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.