Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys I’ve run into an issue that i’m wondering if anyone else has also. I have a version of RetroPie2.x (I think 2.3?) running and i have some SNES games that I’ve been playing with game saves.

I recently built a new version (3.0) on my Raspberry Pi 2 from source and after setting it up i found that the game saves I transferred over don’t work. I get, for example an error that says:

“Failed to load /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/Super Mario RPG – Legend of the Seven Stars.state”

I have enabled save states from retroarch.cfg and i can save and load games i started on the new system.

Has anyone else run into this issue and if how were you able to get it fixed? I can’t wait to continue my games on my new build but I don’t want to start over :/

Floob

When you do “ls -lah” what are the permissions shown on that file you want to load (and what are the permissions on the saves that do load?)

herbfargus

This isn’t related to your issue… But that being my favourite game I’ve been working on a project that you may find useful for once you do solve your save state problem (its still a work in progress)

http://super-mario-rpg-legend-of-the-seven-stars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

jimgdawg
    Participant

Are you sure you are loading them with the same emulator that created them? For example, were they saved using snes9x-next and now you are using pocketsnes?

geneworld
    Participant

[quote=102534]When you do “ls -lah” what are the permissions shown on that file you want to load (and what are the permissions on the saves that do load?)

[/quote]

Hi Floob the permissions are both for pi but i will verify when I get home today!

[quote=102536]Are you sure you are loading them with the same emulator that created them? For example, were they saved using snes9x-next and now you are using pocketsnes?

[/quote]

Hi Jimgdawg you know that is something I didn’t even think about I will have to check that out!

Thanks for the great advise guys I’ll check them both out after work and report back!

geneworld
    Participant

[quote=102535]This isn’t related to your issue… But that being my favourite game I’ve been working on a project that you may find useful for once you do solve your save state problem (its still a work in progress)

http://super-mario-rpg-legend-of-the-seven-stars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

[/quote]

herbfargus that looks great so far good luck on your project!

geneworld
    Participant

Floob, Here is some information on the permissions of the directories. The is for the RaspberryPi I am having issues with. I included the directory with the roms folders to show only gb and snes. I also included gb to show what the permissions look like on a working system

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -aplh RetroPie/roms
    total 168K
    drwxr-xr-x 42 pi   pi   4.0K May  5  21:08 ./
    drwxr-xr-x  5 pi   pi   4.0K May  5  21:30 ../
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4.0K May  5  03:51 gb/
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4.0K May  5  02:11 snes/

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -aplh RetroPie/roms/gb
    total 1.3M
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4.0K Jul 16 03:51 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 42 pi   pi   4.0K May  5 21:30 ../
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi   1.0K May  9 16:45 Pokemon Blue.gb
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    32K Jul 19 00:26 Pokemon Blue.srm
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    59K Jul 19 00:26 Pokemon Blue.state
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    59K Jul 16 04:01 Pokemon Blue.state1
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    59K Jul 16 04:00 Pokemon Blue.state2

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -aplh RetroPie/roms/snes
    total 15M
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4.0K Jul 16 02:11 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 42 pi   pi   4.0K May  5 21:08 ../
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 pi   pi   4.0M Jul 16 02:11 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.smc
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 pi   pi    32K Jul 16 02:18 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.srm
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 pi   pi   422K Jul 16 02:11 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.state
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 pi   pi   422K Jul 16 02:11 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.state1

Below are the rights from my older working system:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -aplh RetroPie/roms
    total 144K
    drwxr-xr-x 36 pi root 4.0K Sep 10  2014 ./
    drwxr-xr-x  4 pi root 4.0K Aug  1  2014 ../
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi root 4.0K Apr 22 23:48 snes/

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls -aplh RetroPie/roms/snes
    total 17M
    drwxr-xr-x  2 pi root 4.0K Apr 22 23:48 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 42 pi root 4.0K Sep 10  2014 ../
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi root 4.0M Aug 28  2014 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.smc
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi pi    32K Feb 23 02:35 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.srm
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi pi   422K Feb 23 02:31 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.state
    -rw-r--r--  1 pi pi   422K Feb 14 02:34 SuperMario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars.state1

You can see the rights are different. Should this matter?

Floob

Can you confirm the error is

“Failed to load /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/Super Mario RPG – Legend of the Seven Stars.state”

and there isnt a number on the end of that, i.e. its not trying to load stat3 or anything?

geneworld
    Participant

Hi Floob, yeah that is what the error was..i made sure i was on the correct game save state.

geneworld
    Participant

[quote=102536]Are you sure you are loading them with the same emulator that created them? For example, were they saved using snes9x-next and now you are using pocketsnes?

[/quote]

Well this was the issue. I checked and once I set the emulator to the same one (pocketsnes) on both systems the save state worked! Figured I’d update this for anyone else who runs into a similar issue.

Sucks that the save states don’t work on different emulators though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.