Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So a few weeks ago I had been using the retropie 3.3 disk image. Had it all set up the way I liked, had a nice splash screen video and all that. I upgraded to 3.5 and then I kept getting white-screened as soon as emulation station loaded. I got fed up after not finding any solutions so I formatted my SD card and just installed 3.5 cleanly on the SD.

Now, when I go to put my splash screen in, it doesn’t load when my pi powers on, just goes straight into emulation station. I deleted the video and put it back where it belongs, rebooted and then it loaded – but only played for 2 seconds and then cut out, and went straight to emulation station again. Since that one time, it hasn’t played at all.

Any ideas? Should I just reformat again and go back to 3.3?

herbfargus

I wonder if it has something to do with making the boot sequence more quiet (retropie loads faster now with the changes we made) I will look into it once I get back from vacation.

robakero
    Participant

Same problem here, I am on 3.5 from a clean install and had no issues. Used a video perfectly. Altered it to another, worked perfectly (just changing the file over in the folder). Then for no reason, it just stopped loading and the more silent install is gone with pages of boot script now showing. ES works fine after the boot though.

robakero
    Participant

I have now fixed this, but cannot explain why it happens. Once a video doesn’t load once, all previous working videos no longer load either. I switched back to a static splash screen, rebooted, then selected the video splashscreen and it worked.

dbalkz
    Participant

[quote=116945]I have now fixed this, but cannot explain why it happens. Once a video doesn’t load once, all previous working videos no longer load either. I switched back to a static splash screen, rebooted, then selected the video splashscreen and it worked.

[/quote]

i’ll give that a try. thanks

dbalkz
    Participant

so that hasn’t fixed the problem.

senkun
    Participant

I have a short .mp4 video in a folder, selected it as my custome splashscreen. Restarted system and it worked beautifully. The issue is that it only works that very first time, when I restart the system the splashscreen video doesn’t work anymore.

So I select the default splashscreen, restart the system, reselect my custom splashscreen video, restart system and it works again. But again only for that one time right after I select it. On subsequent restarts, the video doesn’t show anymore.

senkun
    Participant

Still trying to figure out why video splashscreen doesn’t work on my clean install. Disabled autostart of ES from the setup menu, then re-enabling it seems to fix the issue for a while, tried 2 or 3 system restarts and video came on fine. Then suddenly it stopped working again.

Can anyone help?

retrocam
    Participant

senkun and dbalkz

Just to clarify. If you have set the video to the the carbon standard (just to rule out specific video file issues) and reboot 10 times. It won’t ever work? You mentioned that it works for a while then stops but do you mean it stops permanently? My experience is 100% intermittent. 3/5 times it works.

senkun
    Participant

yes I did have the same thought and did try carbon as well. I tried various videos, short lengths/small files to large/long duration vids, mostly .mp4 and some .mov, they do play but usually on first reboot and not after. I doubt it’s related to video file issues.

For me, it’s definitely not intermittent. It’s more like plays video at least once on reboot, sometimes second reboot (once I got it to show video 3 times in a row) and then nothing after.

So in my case, video splashscreens works for at least the first reboot after choosing custom. Sometimes it works once or twice after, then stops completely. I can’t say it’s stopped *permanently* as I gave up trying after the 7th or 8th reboot with no video showing.

senkun
    Participant

one more thing I’d like to add, both my Pies are on WiFi, so if they were waiting for something before the player gets called it could be this. But then I did try having Fastboot off and the splashscreen video issue is still there.

retrocam
    Participant

Interesting. Slightly different behavior to me. All my tests have been no WiFi, always ethernet. I’m also convinced the same card is fine on a Pi2, I’m going to test that again tonight.

robboman
    Participant

Just chiming in.. I’m having all the same issues on 3.6.

I have an old Pi B+, and a spanky new Pi 3. I tested on both, and it seems the problem is worse on the Pi 3.

On the old Pi, I noticed the video would mostly work, but occasionally fail to play, and sometimes it would play but with no audio. I also noticed that when it failed, it was always on cold powerup. When I’d warm reboot the Pi it would always work.

On the new Pi 3, it worked once I think.. then it failed every time, cold boot or warm reboot.

So my un-technical noob theory is it has something to do with the start sequence and various things not firing up in expected, perfect order. Worse on the 3 because everything loads so much faster.

Hope the devs can fix it, because it’s pretty cool when it all works :)

EDIT: MORE info.. maybe related?

First.. I switched to a static picture splashscreen due to the above issue. Now when I boot the Pi 3, I see the 4 berrys, a few lines, then my splashscreen pic, then the Emulationstation loading screen. It all appears fine, but if I IMMEDIATELY navigate into a system menu and load up a rom, I see my splash pic pop up again before the rom loads. Then the controls freeze up and the screen goes BLACK with only this text in the upper left:

map: vt02 => fb0

If the rom is making sound, I hear it playing in the background, so I know MAME is still running, but I have no keyboard or control input. I was able to SSH in, but sudo reboot now did NOTHING. So I had to yank the plug.

After reboot, if I give it a couple minutes after the menu loads before launching anything, everything seems stable.

senkun
    Participant

Just in case it may help someone else, a temp fix (and explanation from herb) that worked for robboman and I can be found in this other thread:

Adding a delay before calling omxplayer seems to do the trick.

sudo nano /etc/init.d/asplashscreen

Add sleep 5 (in my case I only needed a 1 second delay) in a new line just before the line where ‘omxplayer’ is called.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Splash screens’ is closed to new topics and replies.