SNES controller via USB hub not recognized by RetroArch

Home Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project SNES controller via USB hub not recognized by RetroArch

RetroPie has a new website and forum. Please visit https://retropie.org.uk/ for the new site. The new forum is located at https://retropie.org.uk/forum/. This forum is left here as a read-only archive.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jjmiller1980 jjmiller1980 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jjmiller1980
    jjmiller1980
    Participant

Hi all, forgive me if this is a basic question, but I’m brand new to this. I just set up my Raspberry Pi using the RetroPie image. I got everything set up, got some ROMs copied over, and everything was working. I set it up initially using an iBuffalo branded USB SNES controller. I set up Emulation Station and RetroArch using this and it worked no problem. I had already ordered an adapter to be able to use my actual SNES controllers with the Raspberry Pi (this is the one I have).

When I plug that in and boot up my pi, Emulation Station recognizes that controller. However, when I exit Emulation Station and go into the RetroPie setup and try to configure the RetroArch, it does not. I go through all the prompts, and no matter what I press it doesn’t do anything except eventually time out.

It does “see” my controller. On the top during the registration it says

Found joypad driver: udev
    Using joypad: HuiJia USB GamePad (this is the same name that Emulation Station came up with also, so I know it recognizes it)

Any idea what’s going on? I’m new to Linux and Raspberry Pi, so perhaps there’s an easy fix that I’m just not aware of.

jjmiller1980
    Participant

As more information, I did some looking and found JSTEST. I installed and ran it, and it also does not recognize any of the button presses for the SNES controller using an adapter.

I’m not sure where to go from here.

Profile photo of trimmtrabb
    trimmtrabb
    Participant

With the pad plugged in what does the command ls /dev/input show?

If you have found the solution to your problem please mark the topic as resolved.

jjmiller1980
    Participant

OK, I figured this out. Shockingly, it was user error. When I did another ls /dev/input, I noticed that it shows js1 as well as js0. I just automatically did js0 before, because that’s what the USB SNES controller was. Turns out, on my adapter, the port on the right is player 1, or js0. I set it up that way and it works now.

Sorry about that. Learning.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of jjmiller1980 jjmiller1980.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar