Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I reinstalled RetroPie today on a brand new 32 GB SD card. I’m wondering something… when I follow the various steps, at some point I understand that I’m supposed to run ‘./retropie_setup.sh’, and ‘register RetroArch controller’. However, I find that step very frustrating. I have a SNES Tomee USB controller. For one, the script leaves you very little time to find the button you’re supposed to hit (yeah, I’m kind of slow, I know). For two there are tons of buttons my controller doesn’t have. I’m not even sure which directional pad my controller corresponds to, the default RetroArch mapping seems to have 3. Anyway. I did that, missed a couple of buttons :-\ and when I’m done it looks like a ‘2Axes11KeysGamePad.cfg’ file has been created.

Well it looks like there is an easier (but manual) method to register my controller, and actually to register 2 controllers at once, using this method. It was fairly easy to figure out what the numbers of my controllers buttons are and edit retroarch.cfg with both controllers information.

So the first thing I’m wondering is: isn’t it better to go with the manual method and skip the “register RetroArch controller” script altogether? Makes it easier to register both controllers… (if you have two that is of course, and it’s even easier if they’re identical).

Second, if you’ve done it anyway, how do you completely get rid of that “2Axes11KeysGamePad.cfg” file that has been created, as well as any references to it?

Thanks…

Floob

If you go to this directory
    /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/supplementary

You can edit this file
    retroarchjoyconfig.sh

and change this part:
    –timeout 4

So if you change 4 to 10, it would give you longer to set the buttons.

You may find this helpful:

ogandou
    Participant

Ah, cool, that’d help, thanks! It’d make it easier to configure another joystick. But let’s say for example I went through the “register retroarch controller” again with the same controllers I have already configured, it would write over the 2Axes11KeysGamePad.cfg file, right? But it would not change the contents of the RetroArch.cfg file which I have edited, right? So at this point how would retropie know which one to use?

Floob

Yes, it would overwrite 2Axes11KeysGamePad.cfg if you did it again.

The video above and my other controller videos show why you may not need to alter your retroarch.cfg at all for controllers, I never edit mine in terms of controller used and let the auto management work instead.

RetroArch will use edits in retroarch.cfg as priority over the auto config files. Thats how it decides.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.