Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’m brand new to Retropie. I intend to use it primarily for classic arcade games via AdvanceMame. So far so good, but I noticed that the sound samples required for AdvanceMame actually appear in Retropie’s Mame menu in in a separate folder; i.e., when I navigate to the MAME menu, I can see all my games, but at the end of the game list is a folder called “samples” that contains all the individual sample files.

The samples are obviously useful since they correct some of the old sound effect issues, but I’m not sure why the folder is visible to the user in the MAME menu? This appears to be an eyesore, and its confusing to casual users. Is there a way to hide the folder?

Thanks,

Jim

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You can move it (you would need to adjust the mame config). However I would consider calling it an eyesore an overreaction. Easier just to ignore it :)

jamesrives
    Participant

Yes, perhaps an eyesore is a stretch. Probably best to say “confusing to neophytes.” I’m setting up cabinet for friends and family with little-to-no experience with MAME, so the samples folder would only serve to confuse them.

Could you walk me through the steps necessary to move the file and alter the config file?

Thanks,

Jim

jamesrives
    Participant

I resolved this issue by creating a second folder for samples, and modifying the AdvanceMame configuration file to utilize this folder for samples instead of the default folder. Since I didn’t update the corresponding Retropie/Emulationstation configuration files, EmulationStation no longer “sees” the files and they don’t appear in the menu, but AdvanceMame still access the files – and the samples are utilized by the corresponding ROMS.

I plan to use this same process for BIOS files that are required to run ROMS — so as to ensure the files don’t appear in the menu as selectable items.

Jim

cnschulz
    Participant

I know this is resolved but I feel a simpler/neater way to do this is to rename the “samples” folder “.samples” this will make it a hidden folder and it wont show up in the list of games. You will still have to edit mame.cfg and add the “.” to the samples pathname.

senkun
    Participant

[quote=121529]I know this is resolved but I feel a simpler/neater way to do this is to rename the “samples” folder “.samples” this will make it a hidden folder and it wont show up in the list of games. You will still have to edit mame.cfg and add the “.” to the samples pathname.

[/quote]

Thanks for the insight, just went through the same situation and ended up doing the same thing for .artwork and .samples directories.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.