Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Participant

On Retropie 3.4 I can pair my 8bitdo bluetooth pad but ES do not recognize it

hobbswon
    Participant

What was fixed? Because I just updated to 3.4 and I am having an absolute nightmare trying to pair my FC30 and NES Pro

I can get my bt dongle to see them and register but Retroarch? Forget it…no matter what mode I start the gamepad in Retorarch will not detect it.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Did you register the device in the correct mode ? (Start + R)

hobbswon
    Participant

Yes, Start+R will give me a different MAC address but the same result…will pair and the blue light will breathe as it should but Retroarch will not recognize it.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

And in emulationstation ? please post via pastebin.com your /configs/all/retroarch.cfg and any files in /configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

hobbswon
    Participant

Yes, my error…in ES when setting the input it will not recognize the gamepad after it is paired.

Would you point me to the easiest way to upload those files to pastebin? I’ve never uploaded files or exported system files from the linux environment.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Just to double check – you def unregistered the joypads, and then re-registered it with the button combo being pressed down, as well as pressing the combination before pairing ? I have read that is the fix (I don’t actually own this controller).

the config files can be accessed over windows network etc same as the roms etc.

Floob

If it helps I’ll run through the FC30 Pro and SFC30 this weekend with the new build.

@hobbswon
    Its worth checking out the 8bitdo site to make sure you are on the latest firmware and also check the startup combos as some of the controllers work slightly differently. Most should work simply with the Start button, although the SFC30 certainly seems to like Start+R.

I dont have an FC30 or NES Pro, but for ref here are the startup button configs:
    http://www.fc30.com/download/Manual/FC30-Bluetooth-GamePad-Manual-ENG-v1.0.pdf
    http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/NES30_Pro_Manual_ENG_v1.0.pdf

hobbswon
    Participant

Sorry Floob, it’s the FC30 Pro, not the FC30

One of each. FC30 Pro + NES30 Pro

I upgraded the firmware on both right out of the box.

Start [1 flash] will pair and register the MAC but ES doesn’t detect.

Start + B (keyboard mode – 2 flashes) will not pair and breaks out of the Retropie setup GUI with a dbus error.

Start + R will pair and register a different MAC address but ES will not detect.

Also, I was able to get bluez installed but the recognized commands are different.

i.e. – sudo bluez-test-device trusted xxxxxxxx yes

Or

sudo bluez-test-input connect xxxxxxxx

Didn’t work.

Floob

Can you confirm if you are on Wheezy or Jessie? Was it from an image, or have you upgraded the script and binaries?
    I’ll give it a go on JEssie 3.4 at the weekend.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Which dbus error ? Please update retropie-setup as there are some missing dependencies on the 3.4 image for bluetooth pairing and it may show this error if not updated.

pausuri
    Participant

Same problem here, I successfully pair my FC30 but ES do not recognize it

I tried star it with START, START + R…. but ES keep saying “no gamepad detected”..

hobbswon
    Participant

I’m on the Jessie OS, yes. Fresh install via image.

Ran the setup script before installing bluez.

Buzz – can’t get the dbus error right now. I’ll u/l all the config files updated by morning. (EST here).

hobbswon
    Participant

Ok…here’s the contents of my retroarch cfg files.

Retroarch.cfg + retroarch-joypad folder

The USBgamepad config is just a generic 2 button USB controller I used for navigating the retropie menu.

The FC30 Pro is still registered.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you should have more in configs/all/retroarch.cfg than that.

hobbswon
    Participant

I don’t see how the FC30 Pro would create a retroarch config file when ES won’t even detect it for input. Am I missing something?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Yeh it will need to be working first with ES. I can’t advise as I don’t have one of those controllers. it *should* work when registered and paired in the correct mode. There are people who have used these controllers successfully.

hobbswon
    Participant

I’ve gotten them to work almost flawlessly with the wheezy build. The jessie build has been a nightmare. Guess I’ll just roll it back until they work out the wrinkles.

pausuri
    Participant

[quote=114776]I’ve gotten them to work almost flawlessly with the wheezy build. The jessie build has been a nightmare. Guess I’ll just roll it back until they work out the wrinkles.

[/quote]

Same thing here

hobbswon
    Participant

My frustration is really starting to mount now.

I realize it might be in part due to my ignorance but I’m pretty sure I’m covering all bases here.

I just reinstalled 3.3 wheezy and installed the bluez package

sudo apt-get install bluetooth bluez-utils blueman

It ran and installed.

When I went to register the bt device in the retropie setup menu…it did something I never saw. It said I did not have the necessary dependencies installed. So it uninstalled my bluez package and installed Bluez 4.99

Then I registered and paired the device. Retropie recognized it as a joystick. ES still would still not detect.

So I unregistered and re-registered with just START mode. ES will still not recognize it.

I was able to do this painlessly on 3.3.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ Floob, look forward to your video/tutorial on connecting controllers on RetroPie 3.4 (Jessie).The Retropie Wiki gives only bluetooth instructions for Retropie (Wheezy) :(

Floob

@hobbswon To confirm – you are using a clean 3.3 Wheezy image (not Jessie) and expanded the FS etc..?

If so, does the wiki guide work for you, as currently that connects in a slightly different way which isnt using the inbuilt bluetooth menu option.
    Can you give that a go with the FC30 Pro, as thats the controller I based the guide on.

@abs7 – I have it working on Jessie now, and yes the Wiki is currently based on the previous image, but I’ll update it soon.
    I’m keen to try to test a few more things first so that I can use the retropie bluetooth menu rather than a workaround which is what I have now.

hobbswon
    Participant

Hi Floob thanks

I performed a fresh install of 3.3 wheezy and expanded filesystem.

Controller being config’d FC30 Pro. Latest firmware.

Both the wiki guide and video produce the same result whether the controller is started with START or START+R

It will pair
    ES will recognize and allow me to map the input
    It’s registered as a joystick in hcitool scan (even thought the retropie menu will only show keyboard for input config)

The retroarch configurations are off [as expected] and the analog sticks do not function in either tbe ES menu or the emulators.

Floob

If its the FC30 Pro, use just the power to turn it on rather than a combo, and you should get a single blue flash pattern.
    Then if you follow the Wiki exactly, can you confirm the first step that doesnt do as it describes?

Bear in mind you can (if needed) override your locally generated retroarch file manually with different buttons. The correct mappings are shown here:
    https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig/blob/master/udev/8Bitdo-FC30-Pro-GamePad-Bluetooth-Mode(POWER)-Mode(POWER%2BR1).cfg

Your local file will be in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

I’ll upload a guide for the Jessie build later.

hobbswon
    Participant

[quote=114844]If its the FC30 Pro, use just the power to turn it on rather than a combo, and you should get a single blue flash pattern.
    Then if you follow the Wiki exactly, can you confirm the first step that doesnt do as it describes?

Bear in mind you can (if needed) override your locally generated retroarch file manually with different buttons. The correct mappings are shown here:
    https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig/blob/master/udev/8Bitdo-FC30-Pro-GamePad-Bluetooth-Mode(POWER)-Mode(POWER%2BR1).cfg

Your local file will be in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/

I’ll upload a guide for the Jessie build later.

[/quote]

The walkthrough goes without a hitch. It’s the mapping.

I changed the inputs on the 8bitdoFC30Pro.cfg to exactly what was described in the link. The controls are all backwards now lol

Floob

@hobbswon – ok cool, so the bluetooth side is sorted its just the mapping then.
    If you paste your current controller file to pastebin.com I’ll take a look at the contents.
    Although this one should work for the FC30 Pro – is that the exact model you have?
    http://pastebin.com/raw/7fGSx8Dd

hobbswon
    Participant

Here goes

http://pastebin.com/WkdaSEvx

I copied the exact config…except. my cfg has L2 and R2 buttons and I don’t see them on your config. Are you sure that’s a config for FC30 pro not the FC30?

I’m definitely using an FC30 pro

These settings totally screw my controls.

FC30 Pro is configured in port#0

pausuri
    Participant

[quote=114853] @hobbswon – ok cool, so the bluetooth side is sorted its just the mapping then.
    If you paste your current controller file to pastebin.com I’ll take a look at the contents.
    Although this one should work for the FC30 Pro – is that the exact model you have?
    http://pastebin.com/raw/7fGSx8Dd

[/quote]

Floob, could I use your cfg for a SFC30?

Cheers

Floob

@hobbswon Yes, I skipped the L2 and R2 when I set mine, so that difference shouldn’t matter. Is there only one file in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads ?

When you say the settings “totally screw my controls” what do you mean? None of them respond? Are you turning the FC30 Pro on just with the Power button as opposed to any button combo?

@pausuri
    – No, but you can find it here. Just turn the SFC30 on with Start+R
    https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig/blob/master/udev/8Bitdo-SFC30-GamePad-Bluetooth-Mode(START%2BR).cfg

I’d just rip out the relevant codes and edit your existing file rather than use that file.

hobbswon
    Participant

[quote=114872] @hobbswon Yes, I skipped the L2 and R2 when I set mine, so that difference shouldn’t matter. Is there only one file in /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads ?

When you say the settings “totally screw my controls” what do you mean? None of them respond? Are you turning the FC30 Pro on just with the Power button as opposed to any button combo?

@pausuri – No, but you can find it here. Just turn the SFC30 on with Start+R
    https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig/blob/master/udev/8Bitdo-SFC30-GamePad-Bluetooth-Mode(START%2BR).cfg

I’d just rip out the relevant codes and edit your existing file rather than use that file.

[/quote]

Yes, starting with POWER only

No also in the retroarch-joypad folder is

8BitdoFC30Pro.bak
    USBGamepad.cfg

USBgamepad.cfg is a generic 2-button NES clone that I used to inititally navigate the ES menu

Here is that config file

http://pastebin.com/a8z3Btrq

Floob

Can you remove the 8BitdoFC30Pro.bak just to make sure its not being read (Although I think only .cfg would be read)?
    And can you describe what (or what doesnt) happen when you try playing a game with the FC30 Pro – which game are you trying?

hobbswon
    Participant

[quote=114877]Can you remove the 8BitdoFC30Pro.bak just to make sure its not being read (Although I think only .cfg would be read)?
    And can you describe what (or what doesnt) happen when you try playing a game with the FC30 Pro – which game are you trying?

[/quote]

Oh srry…yea the controls are just mixed up. D-pad works fine, analog sticks do not work. Start button triggers A button, r-thumb triggers b button, a, b, L2, R2 do nothing.

When I mapped it through the ES autoconfig prompt initially and I played any game on any emulator I tested, R,1, L1, ABXY, Start, Select and D pad worked as it should.

Game I have been testing was Contra on NES, Tenchu on PSX and Super Punch Out on SNES

I will delete the backup config to test.

hobbswon
    Participant

I deleted the .bak and tested with the same result.

I also deleted the USBGamepad.cfg and remapped the input on the FC30 again with no luck

Floob

The analog sticks work if you configure them in the RGUI, so thats a separate issue really.
    Delete all the config files in that controller directory and just create a new one in ES, then post that one in Pastebin, and let us know what button mapping does or doesnt work.
    To be honest I dont know why the other one wouldnt work for you, as they are the codes for a FC30 Pro starting in just power mode.

hobbswon
    Participant

Ok here are the results..

http://pastebin.com/7V7pHpSC

I mapped it through ES and when I did there was a noticeable delay when inputting L2 and R2. But it showed map in the GUI. When I went to check the config they were not mapped in retroarch. It also mapped decrease/increase state to Dpad L/R.

So I manually added the L2 and R2 to the cfg, which mapped as buttons 8 and 9 respectively, and then switched the decrease and increase state to correspond. And it worked fine.

So the only controls that do not work are the analog sticks (and buttons)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 70 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.