Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was thinking about trying to do a pixel theme for ES. Got some basics down. Wrote a little app that will show me the ES measurement garbage so I can place objects precisely. Little stuck on the graphics. Doesn’t take too long to draw a pixel game system. System titles take a little bit of time. Wondering how this looks. What would you change?

System Select

Game Select

InsecureSpike
    Participant

damn cool idea, so each system represented by its pixel quality of graphics?

rookervik
    Participant

I was shooting for an average pixel size. Since the Raspberry Pi can’t handle a wallpaper for each system. Otherwise that would be the best idea. Tho, these wallpapers are only 480×272… it would be interesting to see if the RPi could display 32+ of these wallpapers, since they are so small.

tronkyfran
    Participant

I like the idea a lot. Not so sure about the little pikachu, the image works fine without it!!!

Go for it!!! :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like the idea, maybe center the console a little more, I actually like the pikachu, I don’t know how hard it would be to add a character for each console like that but I like that as well

dankcushions
    Participant

this is a great idea! love the main image! agreed about centring it, though.

on the game page i’d left-align the game list and something bugs me about the grey borders – make it look too cramped maybe? just my immediate reaction though!

rookervik
    Participant

Getting a little further. Adding a WIP to let you see. Not sure I like the System Select screens. Circular shape visually helps you realize you’re in a different section than “game selection” but I’m not sure if I like it.

On the System-Select, the ring color can change per-system. So can the backgrounds and font colors in the Game-Selection screens. Takes no additional RAM to change the colors.

WIP 1

InsecureSpike
    Participant

I’m really likin these mate

rookervik
    Participant

Heh, finalized the look of the theme. LOL. Removed the characters. Now I just have to draw all the consoles, and do the system logos in pixel art. Prolly take forever >_<

FINAL

herbfargus

Likely you’ll finish before tronkyfran though ;)

rookervik
    Participant

What’s tronkyfan up to?

Anonymous
    Inactive

This looks awesome! I actually liked the character and system in opposite corners on the system select menu, since it let you appreciate the pixel art. Not sure about the bubble background, but it looks like you’ve moved away from that design anyway. Can’t wait to see your progress on this!

To answer your question, tronkyfan is doing background images for each system based on realistic looking 3d renders. Kind of the opposite of this here, though they look great too. https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/background-images/

rookervik
    Participant

Ah, yeah I’ve seen those. They look great. Can’t really be used on the Raspberry Pi. If you have more than 10 systems, backgrounds of that size will make ES crash :( Work great on PC though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like the progress of this one as well, I also liked the character sprites, but looks cool with or without, what programs do people use for making the themes? Is there a program for Mac I can use?

rookervik
    Participant

You use Notepad and hope for the best :D I use Notepad++

Lots of referencing the Simple theme, lots of trial and error.

I made a little Windows app that will help you with the measurements that ES uses.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

I theme via Mac an yup reference any or as many themes as you like, that’s the best way, and probably the easiest way to learn.
    and a great image editing app is needed too, for editing the xml’s I use textwrangler, just the basic non paid version will do!

ah… also ask questions! and ask for advise too, if you get stuck

snupello
    Participant

ehere i can download it ??

rookervik
    Participant

I haven’t finished the theme, yet. The pixel art takes a while to make. Plus I have to re-do all the logos as pixel, too. So that doubles the time. And each system has unique color schemes. It will take me a while to finish up the theme >.<

Anonymous
    Inactive

When do you think this will be okay to download? Because this is amazing!

Omnija
    Participant

I like the final version best, it accents whats most important in a neat way.

rookervik
    Participant

Let me know which systems you use on your RetroPie and I will try to get to those first. All the pixel art and coloring the themes is taking a long time.

rookervik
    Participant

These are what I’ve finished so far. GBA I haven’t finished the console. Some of the others I haven’t done the console logo. Game Gear needs a new logo, I really don’t like how it came out. But I’m working on it.

So Far...

Anonymous
    Inactive

They all look great, keep going! and I usually play on gba and snes mostly

robertybob
    Participant

NES, PS1 , N64 and Sega CD would be lovely! :)

dankcushions
    Participant

looking great :) a drop shadow effect around the logos might look cool? after seeing it in mario maker i kinda love it!

cyborguk
    Participant

Looks great, please also consider something for Mame, FBA and the Neogeo, I guess an a default arcade machine would suffice. Keep up the good work.

rookervik
    Participant

Don’t worry, I’ll do all the systems. Including Wii and those that you’d only use on PC. (Since I also use ES on PC, now.) I was just trying to do the systems in order of popularity and release a WIP theme for those people that don’t use a lot of systems.

tronkyfran
    Participant

Amstrad CPC & spectrum are my bets ;)
    They all look amazing, keep up the good work!!!

rookervik
    Participant

Finished the theme. Omnija helped me test it out.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Emulation Station Themes’ is closed to new topics and replies.