Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just installed RetroPie 3.0. I get Ilegal Instruction $es_bin”$@” when it boots.

How do I fix this error? I do have Roms on a Thumbdrive ready to go. :)

Thanks!

herbfargus

You installed the wrong sd image for your rpi.

Rpi1=1 raspberry on boot.

Rpi2= 4 raspberries on boot.

txwylde
    Participant

I was sure I had downloaded the one for the RP2. I am re-downloading the image.

I considered snagging the newest Pi.. Is there not a RetroPie version for the RP for the latest Pi?

Thanks!
    Bill

herbfargus

The newest pi is a raspberry pi 2 so if the pi you currently own is not the latest rpi it is not a raspberry pi 2. It is likely a raspberry pi B+. Easiest way to check is to count the raspberries when the pi boots. If there is only one raspberry you do not have a raspberry pi 2 and therefore you need to install the raspberry pi 1 sd image.

This is clearly explained in the wiki:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation

txwylde
    Participant

I had not realized I had the revision B of the Pi 1. (Plus, I did not realize to count the number of Raspberries. :) )

I had the PI originally create the folders in order to put the Roms in and then moved those roms over to the corresponding folder. I tried plugging that in, but the pi did not bring over the roms.

Should I delete everything on the thumb drive, have the Pi create the folders, add the roms and see if the Pi brings the roms over?

Thanks!
    Bill

herbfargus

Transferring roms is also explained clearly on the aforementioned wiki page. If there is any confusion see the linked video on that wiki page.

You don’t have to delete everything rather you need to create a folder called retropie first on the usb and then plugging it into the pi will generate the needed folders. Then you’ll transfer your roms into their respective folders

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.