Viewing 22 posts - 36 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I think Raspbian will make a 64bit build in next month or so… its inevitable. I guess we will all need to wait for that before we can see the real capabilities. I see that NOOBS released a new build yesterday for the Pi3….if its of any use or help? Im no expert so waiting for Floob to do his usual magic.

retroresolution
    Participant

The email I received yesterday which revealed the Pi 3 mentioned that the new 64 bit ARM CPU was chosen in part for its 32 bit performance.

I would expect/hope that the existing Raspbian, and RetroPie, should install and run, and benefit from the enhanced clock speeds, if the GPU has no compatibility issues – I see that the Pi 3 GPU is now dual core.

Certainly rebuilds of the o/s, and individual emulators, to take advantage of the 64bit CPU, and perhaps updated gfx plugins, would reap the most benefits, but the new CPU is considerably faster than the best overclock performance I can get from my Pi 2.

Fingers crossed

retroresolution
    Participant

I’ll investigate that new NOOBS build – thanks for mentioning it

[Edit] the latest NOOBS release notes state:

2016-02-26:
    * Support added for Pi 3, including Wifi and Bluetooth
    * Option to set wifi country code added to raspi-config

No mention of 64 bit at this stage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let us know how you get on with the NOOBS build

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

kahnindustries
    Participant

Mine is here, let’s see if it boots :)

kahnindustries
    Participant

Can’t get past splash screen

Tried sudo apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade but it does not detect any necessary updates (I upgraded to 3.5 last week). Any other suggestions to try?

Also I reverted to pi2 overclock and no overclock no luck

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

[quote=118620]Well this makes me happy, and sad. I just bought my fisrt Pi bout 3 weeks ago…

[/quote]

Whenever I get a new Pi, I buy a new controller and gift my old one to a friend/family member ^_^ My Pi2 is going to the niece and nephew in a few weeks!

retroresolution
    Participant

Are you using an SD card with RetroPie that’s been taken from your Pi 2?
    Wondering whether to use NOOBS to get the latest pi 3 compatible Raspbian, then install RetroPie – but if you’ve already done this, not sure what to try.
    May just run overclock tests in the meantime (but not today unfortunately, haven’t even plugged it in yet).

retroresolution
    Participant

Article on The Register lists the tech specs of the new Pi in detail. Ram is now clocked at 900mhz

Raspberry Pi celebrates fourth birthday with fruity version 3

dankcushions
    Participant

the ram is the same speed as the pi2, it’s just reporting the DDR (2x) speed (2x 450 = 900). i’m surprised how many sites are reporting this wrong.

retroresolution
    Participant

Ah, okay – thanks for clarifying this. Thought it seemed a rather huge increase!

cortex
    Participant

[quote=118490]I’d like to know how well the n64 and PSP emulators work ? Oh and maybe the Saturn one to Hehe

[/quote]

Oh yes, fullspeed or at least a really playable speed for all n64 games would be so awesome!
    Please let us all know if you tested it :-)

shmoopty
    Participant

I’m somewhat concerned that no one has claimed success in running RetroPie yet.

Perhaps a software bug. Perhaps a first-run manufacturing defect. Or perhaps simply no one has taken the opportunity to report their success.

I suspect I’ll get mine in the next day or so. I will report on the results.

retroresolution
    Participant

I still haven’t had opportunity to set mine up…

petrockblog
    Keymaster

im running retropie on my rpi3.

shmoopty
    Participant

[quote=118850]im running retropie on my rpi3.[/quote]

(thumbs up)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice one. Whats the performance like for N64, PSP, Dreamcast? Did the built in bluetooth and wifi work atomatically? What version of Retropie are you running? Thanks

Mine is arriving tomorrow!

cooky069
    Participant

I got my pi3 up and running today . Psx is now running with enhanced resolution on, psp runs much better with less freezing. I’ve tried n64, still not impressed but it’s one system I only just started playing around with. Bluetooth sort of works but I have to manually reconnect my nes30pro every reboot , it works in game ok tho. Wifi connects to my network and I can update but don’t seem to be able to connect to the pi with putty or samba shares. However if I use my old dongles from pi2 it all works as before

dankcushions
    Participant

wifi seems unreliable to me. it works as soon as i reboot but then is super flakey, making it basically impossible to connect. eg: http://ctrlv.it/id/4746/756135245

back to network cables for me! although if it’s a hardware thing i imagine it’ll get fixed soon enough in the firmware or whatever.

staticc
    Participant

Hello all. First post, rpi noob here. What would be the recommended overclock setting for an rpi3? I’m assuming the current 3.6 image does not yet have a “Pi3” setting similar to the “Pi2” setting? My rpi3 should arrive tomorrow and I mostly bought it to make “Ocarina” more playable. What would you guys suggest? I’m curious to know what Buzz would say as well.

mike4001
    Participant

Would be interested to in overlocking settings.

Out of rasp-config it´s not possible at the moment.

But I edited the boot.txt and brought it up from 1200 to 1300 (just for trying).

But would be intersted what a safe setting would be.

staticc
    Participant

How is that working out for you? What is your overvolt?

Viewing 22 posts - 36 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.