Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I still won’t have my pi until Wednesday, so I can’t test this out.

Does Emulation Station load in the background? If I make a long enough boot video, when it is over can I be taken directly to the system select within Emulation Station?

I want to bypass the emulation station loading screen as it doesnt match the Black Eudora theme I am using at all and sort of ruins the aesthetic I am going for.

herbfargus
    jeffdamann
    Participant

Thank you Herbfargus, but Ive used the wiki. I still don’t understand if ES can actually load in the background.

From reading it seems like no matter what you do, or how long your video is, the video only covers the terminal text, and then ES is loaded after the video is done. Or you can have it set up to skip the video once the Pi boots up and is ready for ES.

As stated in the post above, Im wondering if that is the case, or if you make the boot video long enough will it effectively bypass the ES loading screen.

herbfargus

It loads in the background, that’s what the wiki page explains, omxplayer renders on the highest layer in front of emulationstation while it loads up.

jeffdamann
    Participant

Thank you very much, I had read that, but wasn’t sure.

You have been a big help in the past few days HerbFargus, hopefully when I get my pi and some experience I can reciprocate to other users on this board. Thank you.

herbfargus

Always appreciate the feedback :) i look forward to your contriubutions

jeffdamann
    Participant

Okay maybe I did something wrong. When I reboot the pi, I get the terminal for a good 10 seconds, then my video plays, then terminal again, and then the emulation station loading screen.

Is it possible to not show the terminal messages, leave a blank screen before playing the video, play the video, and then jump straight into system select on emulation station?

herbfargus

Make your video longer. Also make sure you’re running the latest retropie as it was only a recent change. There also may be potential nuances with your video resolution and Jessie.

jeffdamann
    Participant

Thanks herbfargus that worked wonderfully, however the video does not seem to play on the topmost layer. Normal boot without the video is around 30 seconds including terminal. I made the video 1:00 long. It is clear that what is happening is the video finishes, then I go to terminal for a brief time, and then it proceeds to load ES after all that has finished.

Im using wheezy with 3.3.1

herbfargus

Did you upgrade from a previous version or start from a fresh image?

Whats the output of /etc/profile.d/10-emulationstation.sh

jeffdamann
    Participant

No upgrade, clean install.

Also, in regard to my wifi thread, I got it working with that interfaces file you see there, rebooted for the intro video, it somehow changed

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    to
    iface wlan0 iface dhcp

I corrected that in the file, but now I can’t make a connection.

Ifconfig says wlan0 Link Encap:Ethernet….

herbfargus

That’s your problem: I guess my change wasn’t included for some reason as it should have been. You’ll delete the lines listed here on the first file:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/commit/67c27315832a88817f8e27685c3b2015b1df4fed

Or alternatively update your setup script, disable autostart and enable it again.

For the wifi: pro tip- don’t give your ssid and psk on the internet. I’d recommend deleting your posted picture .

Might be a conflict between wpa-supplicant.conf possibly. The splashscreen should not affect the wifi.

You could try some stuff on this page:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23344

But I haven’t the foggiest.

jeffdamann
    Participant

Lol I didnt even notice that. Working on the wifi, I tried to edit the supplicant file in nano, and my password was different. I made sure both supplicant.conf and the interfaces file match, yet I still get no connection even after ifdown ifup….

I can see my wireless network using iwlist though

In regards to my boot video, the above edit fixed it, but when ES started loading I experienced extreme corruption in my video and also the video would cut out to blank, and back on, several times until the video was done.

herbfargus

yeah the omxplayer layer thing seems to have some issues that still need to be worked out… works well on some videos, not so much on some others. Boot videos aren’t super high on the development priority list right now with working on Jessie, but it is something I’ll look into once I have some time to see if I can figure out some solutions.

I don’t know what to tell you on the wifi though. other than whats on the wiki I don’t have any idea.

jeffdamann
    Participant

Do you know what I can do with my video to make it not artifact like crazy?(I thought I lieterally broke my pi)

herbfargus

the only thing I can think of is changing the number in this line

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/blob/master/scriptmodules/supplementary/splashscreen/asplashscreen#L21

or changing the resolution of your video. not really sure though

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.