Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Rpi 2
    Retropie 3.0 RC1 (and also tested on 2.6 previously)

Hi all,

I’ve now spent absolutely ages upon ages trying to figure this out. I’ve Googled left right and centre and looked through this and various other forums.

My problem is.

PS3 Controller works on retroarch ecmulators over Bluetooth. NO problem at all.

BUT I cannot get the thing to work on mame4all. It is killing me now!

I was (eventually) able to get some MAME roms to work with the controller by changing the default emulator to libretro-mame and they work well. But there are lots of roms which don’t work on linbretro-mame and only really on mame4all (I have tested with keyboard only).

I fear I am missing something really obvious despite my painstaking efforts to try and resolve this!

Does anyone out there know the answer?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too am unable to get my 360 pad working with mame4all, curiously it works in the UI but cannot get it working on games. other emulators are fine, barring lr-pifba which also doesn’t work!

mikedpitt
    Participant

I have an older retropie version that was compiled with support for the ps3 controllers. I am also interested if there is a 2.6 version, that will run on an Rpi2 that is compiled to include support for the ps3 controllers via bluetooth.

choccyhobnob
    Participant

The mame4all binary only allows 6 axis for each controller, the PS3 sixaxis controller actually has 23 axis so it doesn’t work.

A workaround was found that fixed this by just removing the bit of code that checks for the axis and recompiling. Later the author of mame4all updated the source to allow up to 23 axis but compiling the latest version of the code didn’t work for me, maybe squid typod or something.

There is a precompiled version here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TfYq5Awz_jWExLS2RpMHhnalE/view?usp=sharing that I put in /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/ and it works for me (this is retropie 3)

mikedpitt
    Participant

Does that precompiled version work with two wireless controllers?

choccyhobnob
    Participant

yes

spawnsworth
    Participant

[quote=103220]Does that precompiled version work with two wireless controllers?

[/quote]

Hi choccyhobnob,

Thank you very much indeed that does sound promising. I will give it a try this evening (hopefully).

I wonder how I couldn’t find this solution anywhere as there seems to be a lot of folk using PS3 controllers on Retropie 3.0? Of all the Google/forum searches and video tutorials I mentioned, there was not a single mention anywhere that the PS3 axis were a problem.

I saw in the changelog for mame4all that more axis were added a while back so assumed that this would be fixed in newer Retropie build.

Ah well, I ‘ll give it a blast and let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

fr4j0
    Participant

@OP

Have you went into the mame config default menu, while in a mame game I press the ‘tab’ key on my keyboard and set up the key mappings for the controller in this menu at the to Player 1 (P1) controller? You can also set P2 P3 and P4.

In game specfic menu you can define joystick/buttons to what ever for that game.

Also binding ‘ESC’ on the keyboard (it’s a default setting) and ‘select + start’ of the joypad to ‘exit’ the mame emulation.

Hope this helps.

mikedpitt
    Participant

I believe this is the same thing I had to do with an older version of retropie to get mame4all-pi working. It was discussed in the forums, and was a problem with compilation due to the amount of axis’s.

spawnsworth
    Participant

[quote=103217]The mame4all binary only allows 6 axis for each controller, the PS3 sixaxis controller actually has 23 axis so it doesn’t work.

A workaround was found that fixed this by just removing the bit of code that checks for the axis and recompiling. Later the author of mame4all updated the source to allow up to 23 axis but compiling the latest version of the code didn’t work for me, maybe squid typod or something.

There is a precompiled version here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2TfYq5Awz_jWExLS2RpMHhnalE/view?usp=sharing that I put in /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/ and it works for me (this is retropie 3)

[/quote]

Forgive my noobness here but I have got the files from that precompiled version and replaced both files (after backing up of course):

/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all/mame.cfg
    /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all/mame

Is this all I need to do? mame4all isn’t loading though. The screen just goes black when I fire up a rom, then takes me back to the rom selection page.

I’ve also tried reverting back to the original mame.cfg and using the new ‘mame’ file.

What am I doing wrong? I’m guessing it’s something stoopid!

Thanks

mikedpitt
    Participant

Have you made the binary executable? Try chmod +x mame

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the same problem. You’ll need to adjust your rom directory in the mame.cfg file to point towards the RetroPie rom path.

rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-mame4all

Provided you’re using the default location I suppose. Also, you’ll need to point to the RetroPie config path too.

cfg=/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all

I hope that helps.

-Ryan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are you allowed to have multiple rom paths so for example, mame can use my negoeo roms folder so i dont have to have duplicates?

spawnsworth
    Participant

[quote=103413]I had the same problem. You’ll need to adjust your rom directory in the mame.cfg file to point towards the RetroPie rom path.

rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-mame4all

Provided you’re using the default location I suppose. Also, you’ll need to point to the RetroPie config path too.

cfg=/opt/retropie/configs/mame-mame4all

I hope that helps.

-Ryan

[/quote]

Fantastico! That’s me up and running now! Well ALMOST! I last thing is that it’s not saving my inputs so if I quit the emulator I have to go back in to the TAB menu to configure the controls.

Guessing this could be a permissions issue perhaps?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pointing the mame.cfg file to the actual RetroPie cfg directory allowed me to save the inputs. I would advise you to ensure that you have the correct path there. I hope that helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.