Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve tested a few games on the PS1 and they work, but some ROMs just dont seem to work. They are copied correctly into the psx folder, they have file endings such as “bin” or other accepted file types, but after a reboot, they are not shown in emulationstation. What could be the problem here? I’ve copied the contents of each game in separate folders, that may be the problem, but I also copied games within folders before that.

I’ve built an arcade cabinet for my brothers birthday and I need a solution until Saturday. I hope someone can help me.

epe9686518
    Participant

Take them out of the folders, I have all of my psx game files in the psx rom dir, not in sub folders and all 150+ of mine show up. Only other thing I can think of is if some of the games are in file types you don’t have set in the PSX config, but that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

swoncen
    Participant

Hi epe,

I’ve done that and are copying the files (30 gigs) over ssh to the raspi while I’m at work. I hope it works. Another thing I realized is, that there are missing cue files for some PS1 games. I’m not really familiar with emulators, so I’m not sure how important they are. I’ve downloaded missing cue files and looked into them. The filenames are all correct, but sometimes there are 2 tracks of a ROM:

track1.bin
    track2.bin

and sometimes

track1.bin
    track2.wav
    track3.wav

or similar. In the cue file I see the filenames and a “binary” at the end specifying, that it is a binary file. However, there is always the reference to “bin” files, even though there are “wav” files as tracks. For the last example:

[PSEUDO]
    file = “track1.bin” binary

file = “track2.bin” binary
    file = “track3.bin” binary
    [/PSEUDO]

Should I change them to .wav, since the files are wav files? And “binary” to “WAVE”? When I do this, do I have to add extra information to the wav file like it is shown here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuesheet ?

Thanks for your help

epe9686518
    Participant

What you should have is nothing but .Bin/.Cue files or .img files or .iso files. That is what the psx emu will read. The .Cue sheet is loaded into the emu and simply points the emu to the correct files for that rom. If some of your games have wav files, you need to convert them to .bin files so the emu will recognize them. There is a program called WAV to BIN I believe that will do that for you. Simply put all of your .wav files in a dir and run it, it also should spit out a .Cue file for you too, just edit it to include the other .bin files you already have…

You are going to want cue files with this emulator, even though I believe it can read just .bin files, when it comes to EmulationStation, you will need to edit the ES cfg file and remove “.bin” from the list of supported files for the PSX emu. The reason for this, as you have noticed, is many of these games have multiple .bin files, so when ES scans the roms folder you will have a game like say Need for Speed 3.cue, Need for Speed 3 track1.bin, Need for Speed 3 track2.bin…. etc….. So basically your ES PSX system will be a mess of files…. If you remove the bin file extension as noted above, you will only have one cue file per game, which when launched via ES, it will correctly load the games…

Hope this helps

swoncen
    Participant

Awesome, thanks. I will do that in the evening and report if it works =)

epe9686518
    Participant

No problem man, good luck! If not we will go a different route but that should do the trick!

swoncen
    Participant

Thank you, the games work now! =)

I’ve removed the .bin out of the psx line, but they are still in the list. What can I do?

In the meantime I tried to change the emulators of N64 and GBA but it wouldnt let me change it. I’ve seen, that there was exactly no space left on the sd card, so I removed a game and then I could change the emulators. Now GBA and N64 work! :-)

epe9686518
    Participant

Cheers! Not sure why .bins would still be there if you removed it from the PSX menu in ES.cfg…. Unless you forgot to save… Once you remove that file type from the ES.cfg for PSX it should not show the bins, only the .cues… Did you restart ES and or the PI after making those changes? All I can think of atm…

swoncen
    Participant

I edited the wrong file. Everything works now! YES! It’s so cool. Big thanks epe!

epe9686518
    Participant

Np man, enjoy!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.