Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In my first install attempt I used a USB extension cable, then plugged in my gamepad to it. It was recognized and worked without issue. However, the install had other issues, so I started from scratch. On the next install I plugged the USB controller directly into the USB port without the extension, not thinking about it. Now I find that the controller works when connecting directly, but not via the USB extension. I’m using the full 1 x 1A power supply and have not added any other hardware, so I know that there *was* enough power to power the controller previously. Any ideas on how to get it to boost the power to that USB extension?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

There’s nothing you can do to ‘boost’ the power without modding, any device connected is limited to how much current it may draw (not a lot) but a gamepad should be fine.

The extension cable is obviously the problem, not all usb cables are equal and cheap cables are especially hit and miss. Also the length of the cable may drop the voltage enough to cause issues. Strange that it worked the first time though. The only other thing I can suggest is try another cable or use a powered usb hub.

dietcoke
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, Trimm. It is really strange to me, too. Thinking I may just say screw it with the current gamepad and move to a wireless one. Any thoughts on whether to go for a PS3 or Xbox 360 one?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

I use an Xbox 360 pad, was going to use a SNES or NES usb pad but wireless is so much more convenient :-) Easy to set up too: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller

A 3rd party wireless receiver should be fine, there was a member who confirmed them working recently.

Haven’t tried a PS3 pad as I already had a 360 pad but I don’t think they’re too hard to setup either.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.