Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been using RetroPie to play Final Fantasy VIII (PSX), which requires you to hold down the select button and press square during some sequences. Currently, I’m unable to do this because the select button on the PS3 controller works as a toggle key to allow me to do stuff like exit the emulator (e.g. select + start exits the emulator).

Is there any way to assign the toggle key to a different button on the controller (e.g. R3) so that I can use the select button normally?

Thanks a lot to anyone who could assist. My info is below, and the input section of my retroarch config file is attached, if either helps.

Pi Model: 2B
    RetroPie Version Used: 3.0 beta 2
    Built From: SD image
    Controller used: PS3 controller, have also set up Tomee USB SNES pad
    How to replicate the problem: Playing Final Fantasy VIII using RetroPie, summon a GF and attempt to boost by holding the select button and pressing square.

Floob

When you start the game, you should get some yellow text showing which controller file is being used appear at the bottom of the screen.
    It will say be somewhere like /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/….

If you edit that file you can change the behaivour of your hotkeys.

tinytuft
    Participant

Thanks.

Here is the yellow text I’m getting when I start the game:

“Joypad port #0 (SonyPLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller) configured.”

I’m not seeing a file path…am I missing something?

paquito
    Participant

I don’t see any path too.

I see a string (like you, but with my controller model) that is the string that is in the config of my ControllerName config file, but if I edit this file nothing changes: I tried to swap up and down, and left and right with no effect.

PD: RetroPie is a very interesting project, but has a poor community support. I know that not all has the same support than Kodi (because the community is smaller), but this is a ghost forum with lots of threads unanswered.

Floob

The video above shows you where the controller files are held.

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs/

Go there to find the one for your PS3 controller – they are named fairly well. Then change the value for your hotkey enable button.

Just say if anything in the video isn’t clear.

If you want, you can delete the pre-made files and run the retropie setup script to re-register your controller.

tinytuft
    Participant

Hi,

I managed it.

The confusion stemmed from there being two config files for PS3 controllers (same as there is in your tutorial vid for configuring a wired PS3 controller). I had changed the one that I thought matched the yellow text I got when starting the game, but it was in fact the other file that needed to be edited.

The hotkey video was a huge help regardless. Really like how you explain things and show the logic behind what you’re doing every step of the way. I feel like I’m learning something. Thanks a lot!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.