Tagged: , ,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Just to let some of the more adventurous, compile happy, folks know, if you’re compiling PiFBA from Squid’s code.google repo for the Pi2 you can enable the CPS3 game drivers by manually including them in driverlist.h.

From what I can tell, only the NO-CD versions of the games work and the roms that this version of FBA wants are kind of hard to find (their details are in /burn/cps3/d_cps3.cpp where it lists what it’s expecting to find in each zip file). Though the games do run at full speed, I’ve tested sfiiin.zip sfiii2n.zip and sfiii3n.zip (The 3 Street Fighter III games in NO-CD format) and they all play perfectly with the only issue being they have no audio.

I’ve added in a few bits of debug output and the audio emulation for the CPS3 hardware looks like it’s functioning fine, to me it looks like the alsa wrapper applied to the Pi version just doesn’t hook up to the CPS3 driver in cps3snd.cpp. It looks like this hookup is done for the other drivers by the code labelled as “OOPSWARE_FIX” in the rest of the sources. It should just be a case of applying something similar to the “OOPSWARE_FIX” code to the cps3snd.cpp to correctly forward the audio to the alsa wrapper on the pi.

I’ll be playing with this code over the next few days to see if I can get the audio hookup working. If I get it sorted I’ll throw a fixed version up on github or somewhere for people to grab, but as it is with busted CPS3 audio it’s not really worth throwing a tweaked version out there just yet but for people that just want to have a play with the code this info should give you a leg up on sorting it out. Especially if you’re much better with C++ than me!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Hi, due to no response from upstream regarding some issues with pifba, I forked it and applied some fixes on github myself – retropie now pulls from my repo – so if you do come up with anything, feel free to post a pull request against https://github.com/joolswills/pifba

Cheers!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers Buzz. I’ll pull your version down this evening and hack at it from your codebase instead, that makes a lot more sense than using an old dead version as a base.

reivaax
    Participant

Hello.

Just to say that I will follow this post and cheers for your search !
    The idea of running street fighter 3 on my raspberry makes me salivate!

Hate to hear from you! :D

Floob

[quote=87138]Hi, due to no response from upstream regarding some issues with pifba, I forked it and applied some fixes on github myself – retropie now pulls from my repo – so if you do come up with anything, feel free to post a pull request against https://github.com/joolswills/pifba

Cheers!
    [/quote]

It seems its been having a little attention again?
    http://sourceforge.net/p/pifba/code/ci/master/tree/

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Yeh I noticed it moved – only seems to have included the fixes we have already so far. I will certainly switch back to that repository if it gets some more attention. Would be nice if they used some more descriptive commit messages – most of the changes seem to have one word like “updated” etc.

mame4all was also moved to sourceforge – would have been better on github imho, just because the sourceforge git interface is way behind that which github has.

dddaaannnhhh
    Participant

This has me stoked! Is SF3 really being emulated at full speed? Is there a possibility that speed will be maintained if audio is introduced?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah the speed should be exactly the same once the audio is working. The audio emulation is already running in the background, it’s just the audio it’s outputting isn’t in the right format for the frontend to output.

I had a bit of a play and got it half working but it’s still very crackly, I’m missing something in the audio conversion so I’ll have to dig up some documentation to try sort it out.

dddaaannnhhh
    Participant

This is great news! I’m really looking forward to hearing more about this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Grr… now I have the SFIII series running at full speed with audio on the newer FBA 0.2.97.31 core (with tons more compatibility) with a tweak here and there to the SH2 core but the tweaks have broken Strikers 1945 II & III (not a major problem, they were only running at like 5 fps before it anyway).

But it’s probably broken other SH2 games as well, so I’ll have to dig up a game list by CPU and try out what is playable and what isn’t before and after the tweaks. If it’s only broken games that were too slow to enjoy anyway I’ll leave it in, if not I guess it’s back to the drawing board.

reivaax
    Participant

Tanks for your try barryk.
    give us news ! :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I’m still working on it. It’ll take a while because the config file system and in-game options menu (for setting buttons, dip switches, save/load state etc by game) all need rewriting from their original SDL implementation to draw to the framebuffer for correct scaling and rotation but it’s going well.

It’s running games fine now (including CPS3) but the config menus are really needed because an arcade emu doesn’t really work if you can’t set the buttons or dip switches properly.

jwkassem
    Participant

hi barryk can you push your code to git?

tipoto
    Participant

Hi barryk, I’m glad to read that you’re working on the config file and the in-game options menu, they are really needed! ;) Thank you for that!
    Do you have an idea of how long the rewriting process could take to you?

poplekiller
    Participant

+1 !

kitchuk
    Participant

Hey Barry, how’s the fixes coming along? Can they be merged with jools’s github yet? Id love to be able to play SF3.

herbfargus
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.