Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys, my name is Jeff.
    First off thank you very much for putting the work into the RetroPie project and making this site a reality. I’ve found it to be of great use as l cut my teeth on the pi for purposes of retro gaming.

I have purchased my first Pi with expectations of building an arcade cabinet around it. I’ve made several Mame cabinets over the years and decided to try using a pi instead of an old windows desktop. After seeing videos on youtube and the like of others who have done similar projects l thought it’d work perfect for my purposes.

However l’ve run into a little bit of a wall. I’ve tried dozens of tutorials from all over the web but haven’t come up with results l’m looking for.

That’s where my request for help comes in…
    I’ve currently got RetroPie installed (l think) on my pie … l want to run mame with a test rom l have; but l can’t find the executable. I’ve seen other posts that mention mame’s location being: /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/

However in my /home/pi/ l do not have a /RetroPie sub directory. I do have a /root/RetroPie directory but it only has /BIOS and /roms

Any help on at least being able to run mame from command line and play a game would be a great.

retrobrian
    Participant

Hi jspicher,

Have you run retropie_setup.sh? You’ll need to run that script and then install the MAME4All-Pi emulator (along with any other emulators you would like to install).

Tips on your initial RetroPie setup are available here: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation

I then recommend following the steps in the readme.txt file located under /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi

This is an excerpt from the readme.txt file:

To run MAME run the “mame” executable. At the command line “./mame”.
    This runs the GUI frontend by default. To simply run MAME without the GUI
    enter “./mame {gamerom}” where “{gamerom}” is the game to run.

-Brian

jspicher
    Participant

Hi Brian, thanks for the response.
    No l must not have run the setup.sh file — where would it be located?

retrobrian
    Participant

You’re welcome!

Here is how you run the script:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    chmod +x retropie_setup.sh
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

-Brian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.