Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I realize this probably gets asked a lot but I have been through some of the steps outlined on the web and am still having trouble getting sound.

I installed Retropie a few days ago, NES, SNES, Genesis working great, still ironing out the details on PSX / Neo Geo (Haven’t had time to look at the BIOS solutions out there yet). I have a Retropie 2 and installed the Beta 3.0 version. Built from an SD image, SNES gamepad, keyboard, mouse, and USB plugged in. Games on the NES, SNES, Genesis emulate fine, however, I get no sound. I am connecting through an hdmi monitor.

I followed the steps here

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Sound

but didn’t receive any luck. The only thing I can think of is that I am rebooting (sudo reboot) afterchanging the settings. I have tried returning directly to the emulationstation screen using startx, but my pi freezes on a white screen when I try this.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you could provide, as you might tell, I have no programming experience prior to getting one of these.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

You dont use startx to load emulationstation you just type emulationstation.

you need to reboot if adjusting config.txt, but I can’t advise further other than what is on that page and other threads on the forum with ideas. usuaully hdmi_drive sorts it if using dmt mode and you want sound over hdmi.

matthewjosephcordova
    Participant

Post your config.txt

flavad99
    Participant

from the /boot/config.txt file

#hdmi_safe=1
    #disable_overscan=1

Overscans equal to 16

#framebuffer_width=1280
    #framebuffer_height=720
    #hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    #hdmi_group=1
    #hdmi_mode=1
    #hdmi_drive=2
    #config_hdmi_boost=4
    #sdtv_mode=2

Is this sufficient? Thanks!

flavad99
    Participant

Fixed it. I saw this on another forum. You can’t just edit the hdmi_drive=2 within the pre-existing text, you have to add an additional line at the bottom. Write the text to the configuration file, reboot, and my sound worked.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.