Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I’ve been working pretty tirelessly trying to get my XBone controller working on RetroPie. As far as I’ve seen, XBone controllers should be fairly plug-and-play, but both of mine are far from it. After a ton of trial and error, the place I’ve ended up is figuring out that my controller is the 1697 Model, which seems to be the newer model of Xbox One controller (with the audio jack and updated bumper buttons).

A little research seems to point toward this controller being similar to the “Covert Ops” edition, and other limited edition controllers. What first led me to the realization was that the USB ID for the controller is different than the typical Xbox One controller. My USB ID is 425e:02dd, where as the typical ID is different. It seems like xboxdrv won’t detect the controller with this ID, and won’t even recognize it as a compatible device.

Also, if the controller is plugged in at boot, it will hang on udev population until timeout at udev[83], and will have similar issues if i try to shut down, like never actually shutting down or rebooting. At first I thought this all could be a power issue, but I’ve bought a quality 2A microusb adapter meant for Rpi, and a powered USB hub that seems to work with no issues.

Any help is appreciated!

remedialrockstar
    Participant

O.K. so I’m new to Linux and the whole retropie installation. I have been working to get my XBOX one controller working as well and I have put more hours into it than is probably healthy. I will share what I know with you and maybe someone who is more knowledgable can fill in the gaps for us:

Your new version of the controller will work with the RetroPie only if you are running the old version of the kernel, or at least version 4.1.13. I have tested on this one and have played games with it. You have to update the headers after installation and install the newest version of XPAD to get it to work though. As soon as you update to 4.1.17 the functionality breaks and you will go back to slow starts and hanging at reboot. Here are the steps that I used to achieve my working controller:

Headers download page can be found here but the only ones that will work are the 4.1.13 flavor https://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mhiienka/Rpi/linux-headers-rpi/

Link to newest XPAD installation https://github.com/paroj/xpad

STEPS:
    wget https://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mhiienka/Rpi/linux-headers-rpi/linux-headers-4.1.13-v7+_4.1.13-v7+-2_armhf.deb
    sudo apt-get install dkms (type y at prompt)
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-4.1.13-v7+_4.1.13-v7+-2_armhf.deb
    sudo git clone https://github.com/paroj/xpad.git /usr/src/xpad-0.4
    sudo dkms install -m xpad -v 0.4
    sudo reboot

I got most of my info from HERE but the steps in his solution did not entirely work for me so I had to suss out my own.

I am new to this so I’m not sure why the newest version will not support what the old version did but if someone who knows more about these things could help we might be on the path to a solution. In the meantime, if you want to try this out you just have to remember not to update or upgrade.

remedialrockstar
    Participant

You may or may not have to go back and redo the second step (the install dkms step) after the third step. I did but your results may be different.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the same problem Xbox One Controller 1697 is not detected by the retropie, with the first and the last firmware. When I try update and upgrade it’s the same problem. Also, If I start with the controller conected I can see:

LSB job is running, raising network interfaces

An the system crashes, I don’t know if someone have this con especific controller working on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie.

I don’t know what I could make

Anonymous
    Inactive

I solve it looking for kernel-headers….deb install and later sudo apt-get install -f. Finally you can install xpad or xbodrv but no one works on the 1697 model T_T

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.