Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hello everyone, I have just recently found out about the existence of RetroPie and the possibilities. As an avid gamer in his late twenties i have such good memories of playing all these classic games. So it got me thinking to start make my own RetroPie console.

So I have no experience with the Raspberry Pi whatsoever, nor do I have any programming knowledge.

So my first problem is which RBP to buy? The all new Pi2 or the older B+, I have read the Pi2 compatibilty topic and it seems its getting more stable by the day.

So would it be recommended to start with a Pi2 from scratch at this point, or is the Pi B+ is safer option since the software is farther developed?

Thanks in advance,

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Depends which systems you wish to emulate? The B+ will emulate most 16 bit and older consoles/systems no problem apart from SNES which has some issues on certain games (mainly super fx games) MAME/FBA also runs well generally. Anything after 16 bit era is hit and miss but performance gets an instant boost on the new Pi 2 according to members on this forum (don’t own a Pi 2 yet myself) which makes previously unplayable games playable. If you can get a good deal on the B+ and are aware of it’s limitations it’s a good starting point as there is plenty of info on this forum to get you up and running. The Pi 2 is the same form factor as the B+ so any cases you purchase will fit the Pi 2.

Lastly it’s important to get a decent micro SD card (Samsung class 6 are reliable in my experience) and a 2A power supply, this applies to both models.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its primarily for SNES and NES, but if I could run N64/PS1, that would be great too.

Addiotionally I would also like to be able to convert it to a mediaplayer.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I would get a pi2.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok thanks for the advice so far, I went ahead and ordered a Pi2, should arrive tomorrow hopefully!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.