Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys, I’m having trouble using n64 on raspberry pi 2, retropi v3.
    I can load the games but there really slow & choppy and some elements of the game display appear missing..
    Any thoughts?

Thanks

herbfargus

That sounds about right for n64 emulation on the pi. You can try downloading mupen64plus testing from the experimental menu and changing it to your default emulator from x or m menu as the ROM loads but even then it will still be hit and miss. I stick with my PC for n64 emulation since the pi just doesn’t quite cut it yet for me.

epe9686518
    Participant

As Herbfargus said, the state of the N64 emulator on PI is lacking right now, and needs some work, hopefully it will progress soon. That being said, I have got 30 N64 games running pretty much perfectly at full speed using mupen64plus testing. You are going to need to test rice and gles2n64 video plugins for each game you want to add. Some games work better with rice, some with gles2n64, just hit X when the game loads and try both. I was able to get most of the major games running pretty flawlessly but overall there are still a lot of games that I wish would work that just currently don’t. Hopefully they will improve it down the road.

greyhulk
    Participant

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess I’ll wait it out on the n64.. Dying to play smash Bros and Pokémon stadium 2 mini games.
    Does the PlayStation on pi2 work fine? I’ve got ROMs but there in .ISO format? Also will I need BIOS for it too (sorry for all the questions I’m a rpi2 noob lol)

Thanks again

herbfargus

I’ve had better results with the PlayStation but its also hit and miss. And yes you’ll need a bios- see the wiki

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Playstation-1

greyhulk
    Participant

[quote=103077]I’ve had better results with the PlayStation but its also hit and miss. And yes you’ll need a bios- see the wiki

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Playstation-1

[/quote]

Thanks again had the BIOS ready to put in. My psx ROMs seem to be a .ecm file when extracted?

ekstreme
    Participant

Perhaps we should start another game compatibility list for N64 games. List what ones work with what config.

herbfargus

That’s a good idea on the n64 compatibility list. I might be able to come up with something (I’ll probably leave off regional variants though as it seems redundant to put in 5 versions of the same game.) Maybe once I have time over the weekend.

As far as your psx games being .ecm files- the source you got them from details how to extract them using a program called ecmtools. If you can’t find it Google it. They should be .bin and .cue files after extraction.

labelwhore
    Participant

Just confirming that ecmtools works well, if you can’t find roms in the correct format.

epe9686518
    Participant

[quote=103075]Thanks for the reply guys, I guess I’ll wait it out on the n64.. Dying to play smash Bros and Pokémon stadium 2 mini games.
    Does the PlayStation on pi2 work fine? I’ve got ROMs but there in .ISO format? Also will I need BIOS for it too (sorry for all the questions I’m a rpi2 noob lol)

Thanks again

[/quote]

smash Bros works 100% for me, no issues what so ever, haven’t tried pokemon though. I wouldn’t give up hope on N64, again I have 30 games that work just fine with the emulator. Its quite easy to put together a nice collection of working N64 games.

PSX works 100% for me… I have yet to find a game that doesn’t work at full speed and I have over 150 on my system. And thats including running a filter with the PSX emu to help some it out.

greyhulk
    Participant

Thanks yeah psx works fine, just some of the graphics look terrible (probably my settings). Actually I haven’t tried super smash.. Will have a go later. I’m having an issue with finding video settings overall or for each emulator.. They look really pixelated etc

herbfargus

Just for reference I’ve added a post with the N64 compatibility list:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.