Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a big pile of Sega Mega CD games (originals, on CD!) I’d like to play. I’m happy to rip them and shuttle the files across to my Pi, but how is best to create working ISOs?

I have a Mac, which I’d rather use but can make use of a PC if necessary.

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

If you own the games, you can technically download the image files from the internet. You’re allowed to possess backups of games you physically own :)

Otherwise any image/iso creator tool should do the job.

deKay
    Participant

Actually, in the UK, you’re not if they’re in a different format (same goes for ripping music CDs to MP3) – see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/21/govt_messed_up_home_taping_exception_so_badly_it_needs_to_start_again/

But that’s by the by :)

In one specific case, I want to play Puggsy. Mega Drive version, easy to find. Sega CD version, easy to find. Mega CD version? I’ve found loads of images but they’re all corrupt or have no sound. But I do have the game sat on my shelf!

I have tried making an image with Disk Utility, then converted it to ISO with this command:

hdiutil convert image.cdr -format UDTO -o image.iso

but I get no CD audio. It’s not just RetroPie that doesn’t play the audio either, OpenEmu does the same. I’m guessing it’s because I need a cue file?

herbfargus

If you own the games, you can technically download the image files from the internet. You’re allowed to possess backups of games you physically own :)

That’s not true. it’s illegal to download any copyrighted image files off of the internet regardless of if you own it or not, and according to many of the video game companies its also illegal to subvert DRM etc. to make dumps of discs etc. Just because everyone does it, it doesn’t make it legal.

that being said, you can use something like imgburn or other disk burning utilities to create bin and cue files. I’m not sure RetroPie is the best forum for learning how to burn mega CD’s, I’d be willing to bet with a little googling you could find a site that has tutorials on it that are more tailored specifically to your goals.

deKay
    Participant

Burning, I’m not interested in, it’s the opposite. As I said, I’ve tried Disk Utility but that doesn’t seem sufficient. I was hoping there was a specific Mac tool someone could recommend. I’ve googled but nothing specific to Macs and Mega CDs come up :(

deKay
    Participant

Well, I broke out a PC and ImgBurn and that did the trick, so merrily playing Puggsy on my Pi :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.