Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So Ive just converted my romset to mame4all’s 0.37b5 romset…. and it took out 60% of my roms!! some of which run on older chip sets than supported games, some that run on the same emulated chipset…. I dont get why these games arent supported…

for example all neogeo games upto when the company got merged all ran on the same hardware. so why arent these games supported!

I dont know who maintains the code or even if its maintained but this really needs a huge update.

can anything be done about this? I dont want to run 3 or different emulators just play most of my games. when in use i cant have people searching 3 or so different list looking for the game they are after etc.

Floob

The full 0.37b5 romset has 2,271 sets (zip files) is that what you have?
    I’ve attached the full list.

If you want to support more I would be tempted to try ADVMAME which is based on a newer romset, but you may well find the games dont run as well.

chito
    Participant

I read somewhere that the whole point to mame4all was that it would emulate games that used hardware that smaller processors can emulate. Thus removing newer games with stronger needs to optimize performance. Cant remember where I read that… but if that’s the case then there are plenty of games that use the current emulated hardware that could be supported.

how bad is the performance of advanced mame on the pi? If u remove newer games is it okay?

Floob

Are there specific games you want to try that arent supported? You could try them and see how they go.

I’m not sure how many more games mame4all could support that will run at a decent speed. Try advmame out and see how you go, it’ll probably vary from game to game.

chito
    Participant

Ill have to try it out. How do i install it? Ive had a search Cant find any thing on installing it… juat people talking about it. The version that gets installed is that adadvmame-rpi? Or is that another thing?

Floob

They are all already installed if you use the 2.4.x image.

Yes, to use it put the roms in:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame-advmame

I think ADVMAME uses romset 0.106

chito
    Participant

Ive got the 2.3 image. is there a way to add the emulator or update the files so that i dont have to config everything again?

i know there is an update function in retropie setup but i think it only updates scripts and binaries. not sure if it would update to the image by adding emulators etc

Floob

Yes, if ADVMAME isnt on 2.3, and it may well be I just cant remember, you can update the script and go into the binaries section to just install advmame.

chito
    Participant

i ran the updates and ive noiced how messy the files are now. there are duplicates of files an folders with the same name different case. Would be good if the update didnt just download new files but also did some house cleaning

chito
    Participant

Has anyone ever tried combing 2 rpis into a cluster to get 2x the processing power?

brakanje
    Participant

I saw a video on youtube about clustering. Apparently it’s kind of cost prohibitive though. I actually found out about something with about 4x the CPU and 2x the ram as well as SATA support called the Banana Pi. I may end up picking that up.

chito
    Participant

Ive seen the banana pi get mentioned as an alternative. Finally looked into it. Its a way better machine! Especially the banana pro! Is there a port for the retropie? U cant just insert ur sd card. it has its own setting up

Also there was an announcement today about the new raspberry pi 2
    http://time.com/3691968/raspberry-pi-2/

The British charity behind the technology says the new model is six times more powerful than the previous version. It has 1GB of RAM, double that of the prior model. Its new 900MHz quad-core processor means it’s faster, too.

Also will ship with windows 10. All this for $35

chito
    Participant

Its like the geek god were hearing our cries and bless us this day. Just bought 2 of the new raspberry pi 2

:) same day delivery

Floob
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.