Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Not sure if this is shipping roms in the package?

rdhanded2
    Participant

It says no roms but they are still selling retropie/kodi/etc. Does not seem like something that would be good for the community.

herbfargus

he states later in the description that it doesn’t come preloaded with copyrighted games- but regardless I still feel like its a low blow to be taking retropie and reskinning it with “new hardware” and making a profit off of it.

At the very least he’ll probably be nailed by nintendo for using their characters on his box.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I’m somewhat confused as at the bottom they refer to licences and link to some licence for retropie that has nothing to do with retropie

(3) RetroPie © 2013 Frank (No last name given) View licence: https://github.com/solygen/dotfiles-RetroPie/blob/master/LICENSE

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I have written to the project and petRockBlock.

rdhanded2
    Participant

might be worth writing to people behind kodi/xbmc also and letting them know.

herbfargus

Kodi is under a different license (GPL) which technically does allow for reselling as long as the license is retained in the redistribution… But The kickstarter is still shady regardless.

rdhanded2
    Participant

On the kodi forum there is a thread titled “Selling loaded XBMC/KODI boxes legal?” A kodi team member stated

“It’s a violation of our trademark. Unfortunately, it’s pretty difficult to enforce our trademark on eBay, as we somewhat have to rely on the kindness of whichever representative gets out takedown request. And it’s also pretty difficult to enforce the trademark outside the U.S.”

herbfargus

Fair point. Well by all means point the Kodi team members in his direction.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.