Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi All. I am using the Ibuffalo SNES controller in Retropie 3.1 with an rpi2.

The controller is brand new and seems to be working but there is one annoying glitch whereby when left in the emulation station menu is seems to move on its own!

In other words it involutary move to left left every now and again even though i am not touching the controller. I redid the controller config in retropie menu but same issue. It also does this in game now and again.

I tried an xbox one controller which works fine and doesnt have this issue.

I know a few of you have this controller so any info would be nice.

Is it possible to remove this controller from retropie and start again?

jeffdock
    Participant

I have to same issue with mine, Retropie 3.1 Rpi 1. I think it just naturally scrolls down.

drokkster
    Participant

Thanks. Im not going mad then haha. Just ordered a wireless 8bitdo snes controller. Floob reviewed it on his youtube chan. Looks decent.

drokkster
    Participant

I actually ended up using a PS3 Dualshock wireless as i think its much better. Looking at some amazon reviews of the Ibuffalo SNES, some otehr users reporting ‘detecting false inputs’ So it muct be a controller issue methinks.

Sony and Microsoft spend millions on their R&D for their controllers and it’s clear they are much better controllers (although they don’t quit have the retro look) :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Drokkster,

I own 3 iBuffalo controllers purchased separately over the past 4 or 5 years and I can confirm that all of them suffer from ghost / false dpad inputs. I first noticed this when I used the Buffalo for snes emulation on an android mini pc. I played through all of Final Fantasy III and by the end of that game the controller was driving me crazy as it would randomly flip through the menus all on it’s own. And more recently I’ve experienced these same dpad errors with Retropie. I used to think it was the perfect retro controller but I guess this is what $12 gets you, hah. I’ve since moved onto the 8bitdo controllers and had no problems with ghost d-pad inputs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Huh, I own two of those and some friends of mine, too. There are about 7–8 iBuffalo controllers and none of them has any problems with the d-pad.

Are Sony and MS controllers „better“? Maybe built or tested better, but when I think of the awful xbox 360 d-pad or the uncomfortable wings of the PS1–3 controller …

Give it a try and open the controller. Maybe there is a problem with badly cut plastic dampers or so and you can fix this.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Please can I see a pic of the controller in question ?

synack
    Participant

I’m also having the same problem with ghosting/false dpad inputs with Buffalo controllers. It’s not noticeable during an action/platformer, but I can see it being difficult in menu driven games (and the emulation station menu itself).

Buffalo USB Controller Gamepad

dankcushions
    Participant

i have the issue with at least one of mine (i have 4). right now the one i have plugged in doesn’t do it, but i’ve had the issue in the past. personally i think ES should ignore these sort of ‘micro signals’ – it’s the equivalent of a dead-zone with analogue sticks – marginal signals that should be ignored by the software. a human could never input a single input frame like that.

but that aside, i also have issues with the ibuffalo buttons sticking, after i’ve used them for a few months. that especially is a shame, as they’re lovely controllers otherwise.

synack
    Participant

here’s a log of jstest with ‘micro signals’ from the Buffalo controller. all events listed came from the buffalo gamepad itself without user interaction. I might take a look at the drivers/input/joypad.c source and play with js_event … or when I inevitably get lazy, just order some 8bitdo controllers.

Event: type 2, time 308110, number 1, value 16552
    Event: type 2, time 308110, number 1, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 314520, number 1, value 32767
    Event: type 2, time 314530, number 1, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 314600, number 0, value 337
    Event: type 2, time 314600, number 0, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 327430, number 0, value -32767
    Event: type 2, time 327440, number 0, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 343450, number 1, value 5742
    Event: type 2, time 343450, number 1, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 423770, number 0, value -32767
    Event: type 2, time 423780, number 0, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 459040, number 1, value 32767
    Event: type 2, time 459050, number 1, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 459110, number 0, value 337
    Event: type 2, time 459120, number 0, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 526530, number 0, value 5742
    Event: type 2, time 526540, number 0, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 532950, number 0, value 16552
    Event: type 2, time 532960, number 0, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 561800, number 1, value -5406
    Event: type 2, time 561810, number 1, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 574640, number 1, value -16216
    Event: type 2, time 574640, number 1, value 0
    Event: type 2, time 587470, number 1, value -32767
    Event: type 2, time 587480, number 1, value 0

synack
    Participant

interesting… after purchasing a discrete power supply for the RPI2 instead of powering it from my powered USB hub, the ghost inputs have gone away with the buffalo controllers.

laserpikka
    Participant

Hello, i also have the same problem with my two ibuffalo gamepads (famicon style). I really like the controllers and would love if someone found a fix. For me the ghosting only occures in emulatorstation and i have not ran in to any problems during gameplay. Does anyone know of a good wired alternative to the ibuffalo? I want either snes, nes/famicon layout.

drokkster
    Participant

Does anyone know of a good wired alternative to the ibuffalo? I want either snes, nes/famicon layout.

I don’t think there are any that are good. I now have a Pi3 so I am going to try it this weekend with the ibuffalo again to see if i get ghost inputs in the menus again.

I Recently purchased 2x offical SNES controllers (A grade). Not cheap! Approximately £40/$56/€50 for both of them.

Will let you know how I get on.

dankcushions
    Participant

weirdly i noticed this issue seems to only happen when i’m NOT connecting my controllers via a USB hub. not a thorough test but yeah.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I would add I have seen this happen, but only when powered from a mains adapter downstairs – when powering from my RPI hub for development it doesn’t do it, so maybe it’s related to some interference. I’m not really a hardware person though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.