Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

How do you turn off your retro pie?

Do you just yank out the power chord or is there a shutdown command line I should be entering first?

I ask because my SD cards keep corrupting after a few hours of use when I turn it on and off by just pulling the power cable.

herbfargus

Nope NEVER just yank the cord. That will definitely corrupt all your cards. The code is sudo shutdown -h now it also runs that code if you choose shutdown from the emulation station menu.i also just use this app on my phone cause im too lazy to type it in the terminal.

Good thing you had the common sense to ask since some people never realise that what they are doing is ruining their stuff so that every time their card corrupts they blame the retropie project when in reality it’s user error.

I think it would be nice if the raspberry pi came with an on off button but there are ways you can modify the hardware to add one like the control block, mausberry switch, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You could also just:
    * Exit to emulation station
    * Press start
    * Go down to Quit
    * Select shutdown and click Yes when it asks if you’re really sure.

That’s what I do.

sekazi
    Participant

I have a menu option under the retropie menu as I plan on disabling the pause menu.

a shortened command that can be used is

sudo poweroff

and if you just want to reboot

sudo reboot

eyerex
    Participant

I use a lead with a on off switch use them with both my Pi’s and not had any problems

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=102502]I use a lead with a on off switch use them with both my Pi’s and not had any problems

[/quote]

I’ve been contemplating getting one of these, however as there’s no script to shut the Pi down, won’t it be the same as just pulling it out of the wall?

eyerex
    Participant

[quote=102517]

I use a lead with a on off switch use them with both my Pi’s and not had any problems

I’ve been contemplating getting one of these, however as there’s no script to shut the Pi down, won’t it be the same as just pulling it out of the wall?

[/quote]

Been using with both my Pi 2’s and RuneAudio and RetroPie with Samsung 32GB EVO’s SD cards and not had any problems with corruption

gonzothegreat
    Participant

mine stays on 24/7, been doing so for atlest the last year, with the weekly reboot!
    never had any issues!

godseye
    Participant

The question then becomes, how do I start my Pi?

herbfargus

Unplug it after you’ve run the sudo shutdown -h now and then plug it back it to turn it back on. At least until you’ve added hardware with an on button. I typically just leave my pi on because I’m too lazy to keep turning it off and on.

sekazi
    Participant

[quote=102502]I use a lead with a on off switch use them with both my Pi’s and not had any problems

[/quote]

I have one of those switches but I always hate that you cannot easily tell if it is on or off. I have since bought a proper one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Now that’s the $1 Million question!

“Wake on Lan”?

A simple lamp switch on the cord? :)

/A

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.