Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just set up Retropie with the complete 37b5 romset, and was wondering … is there any easy way to manage all these roms? Not really thrilled with having to scroll through all of these (the fast scroll option makes the most horrendous NOISE). I didn’t see any option to set certain roms as “favorites” or anything.

So what do you guys normally do? Do you only copy the roms over to your rom folder if you know you are going to play them? Or do you copy them all over and just wade through them all the time? Or is there another option?

herbfargus

Personal preference really. I prefer to only transfer over what I play, if you’re dealing with mame sets you can build merged or parents only sets which remove a lot of the duplicates, but anytime you’re dealing with full sets its just going to be a headache to sort. I’ll typically check out YouTube videos on gameplay before I actually copy things over to try out.

ronoh55
    Participant

I’ll repeat that it’s just personal preference.
    I manually sort the various roms into folders by genre. Then you can figure out what kind of game you want to play and go to that folder in ES and have a much shorter list to scroll through.

Also if you hit select on your controller, you can jump to letter, but that’s not a ton faster than the scroll by page.

solinari6
    Participant

Hmm, I didn’t realize you could create different folders in ES. I’ll have to check that out, thanks!

dankcushions
    Participant

there’s dat files for this mame set which don’t include clones or neogeo games, which should cut your list down by around 2/3s

have a look here for then and instructions how to use:
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Managing-ROMs

solinari6
    Participant

on a side note, does anyone know if there’s a way to turn off the horrible scrolling noise?

herbfargus

/etc/emulationstation/themes/carbon/art delete select.wav. or I’d you just want to disable it remove the reference in the xml file. Might not be the exact file path as its of the top of my head but around there somewhere.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you can just disable sounds in ES also from the gui config.

herbfargus

Ah yes. That is a much simpler option. What buzz said.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.