Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve discovered this plugin is now available to use but I wondered whether anyone had tried it and found it to be better than the other two options?

I ran Goldeneye using the GlideN64 plugin last night and it was terribly snow.

gizmo98
    Participant

It’s slower as glesn64 and rice but more compatible. Use VGA resolution and GLideN64 should be fast enough.

epe9686518
    Participant

After doing some testing Glide works very well for some games. I was able to get both Sanfran rush games working at full speed, though there are some audio issues, but both work great now on glide. Tested some other games out on it and many work pretty well. Don’t want to use this for Goldeneye though, lots of visual errors on the levels with glide.

gizmo98
    Participant

It’s called GLideN64. It’s from the programmer of the original Glide plugin but it’s based on the glN64 (glesn64) plugin. ;-)

epe9686518
    Participant

I am fully aware of what it’s called and what it is buddy… I was simply abbreviating it since I was typing the post in a hurry on my phone…. I was trying to be helpful and provide some feedback on it… Didn’t know we had the forum police here to “correct” me on abbreviating the name for the ONLY plugin on the N64 emulator that has the word GLIDE in it….

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Read/follow the forum rules if you want to stay here – gizmo98 was just trying to help and inform you – no need to be rude.

herbfargus

We have gizmo to thank for the plugin :)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

yep – much appreciated gizmo thanks.

epe9686518
    Participant

Didn’t know there was “something” in the forum rules where in every post you MUST type everything perfect, with no errors what so ever, and can’t use abbreviations for common terms/names of plugins… I mean if we are going there then there are 1000s of posts on these forums that I am sure don’t follow those rules…And I wasn’t being rude, far from the fact, I was being helpful and giving feedback on a great plugin in my post… He’s the one who jumped in “correcting” us.. If we are keeping record here the OP didn’t “label” it correctly either, as he called it GlideN64 when the actual name is GLideN64… I mean do we really want a forum where we have people going through every post telling people to cross every T and dot every i? Specially in a reply to someone who was giving POSITIVE feedback on the plugin…There are far better ways to spend bandwidth then that…

And Gizmo, there is surely no hate from me, you have done amazing work! Big thanks for continuing to improve the N64 emulation!

epe9686518
    Participant

Wow sorry I and apparently the OP offended anyone here by not calling it GLide64 and simply referring to it as GlideN64 or Glide…

gizmo98
    Participant

What’s happening here? Just wanted to tell you were it comes from ?. Didn’t know you already know the difference. In my opinion glide and gliden64 naming can be confusing.

And thank you for your feedback! ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I brought up the forum rules as they mention being kind/civil. Gizmo did include a smiley, and was being friendly imho – your reply did not read as friendly to me :)

Now let’s all try and get on.

epe9686518
    Participant

No doubt, sorry for any confusion, I wasn’t trying to offend anyone, sorry it came off that way. I am a huge fan of Gizmo and all of the amazing things he has done! In my head it was a lighthearted sarcastic reply, I wrote it quickly on my phone and didn’t think anything of it at the time. Once I saw how it actually looked in text forum I realized it had a completely different tone and totally understand why it came across as it did. Those were certainly not my intentions, fully apologizes from me!

epe9686518
    Participant

After doing some testing with GLide64, here are the games I got working/working better with the plugin.

1080 Snowboarding: works pretty much at full speed now, most of the menu errors are fixed, plays great!

Castlevania and Castlevania – Legacy of Darkness: both play at full speed now with little slowdown

Command & Conquer: some slow down and issues with the menus, better than before with the other plugins, gameplay is smooth with only minor slowdown.

Duke Nukem 64: Plays at full speed, issue with 2d objects clipping behind 3d objects has been fixed now, works great, though controls need to be adjusted as they are a little touchy by default.

Mace – The Dark Age: Plays at full speed, some stages have a few small gfx issues, nothing major, plays great!

Rush 2 – Extreme Racing USA: Plays great, minor slowdown and some sound issues on some tracks.

San Francisco Rush – Extreme Racing: Plays full speed, there is a 1 to 2 second audio delay, but other than that works great.

Top Gear Rally: Works pretty good, menu errors are now fixed, gameplay is pretty full speed, some slowdown, audio issues but that is a known issue with this game on any emulator/plugin.

Top Gear Overdrive: Works great, some slowdow and audio issues but runs very well.

Turok 1 and 2: First game runs at pretty much full speed with no real slowdown seen thus far in my testing. 2nd game runs good, but does have some slowdown here and there, but nothing major so far, both are fully playable!

Wipeout 64: full speed, no issues noticed…

robertybob
    Participant

Thanks for this! Very useful to know :)

epe9686518
    Participant

No problem, GLide64 makes a huge difference in a lot of these games. Many of these went from completely unplayable to working near perfect to perfect!

Also you can add:

Ridge Racer 64 to the list, it also runs at pretty much full speed with only minor slowdown at the start of a race..

robertybob
    Participant

Maybe it’s worth adding this information to the Wiki?

epe9686518
    Participant

Was a little confused about how to add it and how it has evolved… There seems to be a few separate game listings, so didn’t want to mess anything up. Was just posting it here so who ever wanted to could add it in if desired..

herbfargus

Yeah I didn’t do that- somebody else seemed to not like the format I set and created their own sheets (looks like rubbish) but anyways feel free to add it to the compatibility sheet somewhere- I added the gliden64 plugin- in the data validation under the mupen64plus sheet. You can add it there by selecting it from the drop down option under best plugin.

epe9686518
    Participant

Oh was wondering about that, didn’t seem to be any rhyme or rhythm to it but now it makes sense lol. The mupen64plus one is the one I edited before so will add to it.

herbfargus

That’s the one that should be edited- no need for 3 bloody sheets when it can easily be done with data validation and sorting. But I digress..

epe9686518
    Participant

Lol I feel ya, not sure who would think to add more, when one handles everything nice and clean and concisely. The really bad part is the others left out some games that are working perfectly fine!! So if you only look at that list, you get a incomplete view of the state of N64 emu on pi.

epe9686518
    Participant

Hey Herb, I didn’t see 1080 snowboarding on your list of games, and we had a few games at the end of the list without names. Was wondering if you would add 1080 to the list, I would do it but am afraid I might screw something up, haven’t really done much with googledocs yet.

herbfargus

Yeah I locked the columns so people would stop messing them up, but I can add you as an editor if you like- just submit a request to edit from the sheet or just pm me your gmail and I’ll give you permissions to edit everything.

If you break things I can always revert your changes so don’t worry about that.

epe9686518
    Participant

Fully updated the list, added about 25 new games that now are fully playable and work great thanks to Gizmos plugin. Edited about 50 games on there that have been tested with the new plugin to provide feedback.

herbfargus

Brilliant mate- thanks for doing that :)

epe9686518
    Participant

Np man, glad I could help. Just a bit of history, when I first started back in Feb with N64 emulation on Pi2, there were about 14 games or so that ran pretty close to 100%…. At last count, and I am surely leaving out some as I have not tested all, but I currently have 51 N64 games that run at or close to 100%. Killer progressive has been made on N64 emulation on the Pi!

robertybob
    Participant

Banjo Tooie: Initial cut screens play fine (better than Rice), however once finished the graphics don’t render properly (everything is white, except Banjo)

Donkey Kong 64 (Kiosk Demo): Plays perfectly.

Earthworm Jim 3D: Seems to be perfect!

F1 World Grand Prix: Seems to be perfect!

Kirby 64: Audio stuttering during some cut screens, menus are fine, gameplay seems perfect.

Mario Golf: Played a round of mini golf – experienced graphical glitches but was definitely playable.

Mega Man 64: Works perfectly

Perfect Dark: Writing illegible (garbled), lots of slowdowns. Unplayable.

Super Smash Bros. Intro video runs slowly, audio stutters at menus, game slows down when more than 2 characters are on the screen at the same time, but is still playable.

grire974
    Participant

Howdy – looking for advice; bit of a retropie newb.

Wanting to get mario kart 64 ironed out for a staff christmas party (pre party – don’t worry that’s not all were doing). Mario kart menu looked terrible on retroarch default emulator; figured out how to change the emulator using ./retropie_setup.sh. So far glide works best for me including graphics and sound (rice had bad sound for me on pi2).

However, as soon as I step away from retro arch; the controls are all messed up for my game pad controller; can’t figure out even how to accelerate. Have checked the other retro arch config files (as I’m sure you have to provide a controller mapping somewhere) – but don’t know where to do this. Any advice? mucho gracias!

herbfargus

I presume this is what you were referring to? https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/runcommand

It’s in the works. Should be fixed soon.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/pull/1093

In the mean time you can either add the pull request manually or configure your controls manually:

See
    https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Nintendo-64

See also

epe9686518
    Participant

Just a heads up, you don’t want to use Glide for best performance in MK64. Gles2N64 is actually the plugin you want to use. It runs at full speed, even in 4 player split screen. And has no visual errors. Glide works pretty well, but has some slowdown, and also some sound issues.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.