Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have had a few issues regarding the project once I enter Emulation Station. While Quake III Arena and Cave Story works, I have had an issue starting Doom 1 and Duke3D. Doom 1 won’t even start; It brings me back to the selection screen. Duke3D, on the other hand, sounds like it’s working, but there is no display; just the audio. I am very confused at this point as I have only followed the given instructions, installing RetroPi using the smaller, quicker installation.

My other question involves importing my ROMs into RetroPi. For one, I only see 4 consoles to select, although the RetroPi folder shows many available consoles. Second, I am a bit lost as to how I put my ROMs in the game. I have a few different ROMs for the Apple II (presumably), yet when I put them in the Apple II folder nothing shows up in Emulation Station. I am probably doing something wrong, unless the ROMs I have are just duds, which they very well could be. If that’s the case, do you have any suggestions as to where I can find reliable ROMs for download? Thanks for any and all help I can get.

raspihack
    Participant

Granted I am also a newbie to these forums but if you take 2 minutes and read any stickies they will tell you NOT to ask about ROM downloads.

Take a few minutes and look for the First time installation wiki. You will probably learn exactly what you need to know and not annoy the regulars on this forum. First rule of forums is use the search function.

mac2298
    Participant

Well, excuse me for wasting your time. I didn’t ask you to click on my thread. You chose to, and by reading my post and responding you chose to waste your time on my thread. So before you be obnoxious to a guy humbly asking for help, why don’t you think about what you’re going to say before you say it? I’m only looking for assistance in what appears to be a couple of issues that I am experiencing. I contacted the owner of the blog and he suggested that I put this question up here. This is supposed to be a help forum, not a be a jerk to every noob that posts up here forum. Please think about that next time you post… especially since you even admitted that you are no pro anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are a few ways to get roms into it by default.

The one method most people use is to have their image on an SD card, running from USB. This keeps the roms and Retro Pie running from USB.

The second method is to load your roms into your SD card if you have Retropie on your SD card. All you have to do to do this is take a blank USB drive, plug it into the PI, wait a few seconds and then plug it into your PC and you will see a pre-built roms folder.

Information about downloading roms cannot be divulged on the forums as per this topic:

but I would invite you to look into the suggestion placed on this page which offers free and legal downloadable roms.

You can copy what roms you have into these folders and then plug this back into the PI, give this some time to do until you notice your USB stops flashing (This is the only method I’ve found at least). You can then reboot your device and this should have copied the roms into the SD card.

The third method which I haven’t been able to get working unfortunately is offloading your roms on an USB drive. This method is described in the article below but you’ll have to scroll down into the comments as it’s outdated. You do this so you can have your RetroPie Image on your SD card, and your roms on your USB. I’ve been looking to do this to save some money temporarily as I haven’t had the extra cash to pick up a 128 gb flash drive.

http://mardell.me/blog/how-to-load-roms-from-a-usb-drive-on-retropie/

I’m no pro either but I hope that helps some.

mac2298
    Participant

Thanks so much Xaviarrob! You gave me everything I need… I will definitely try this out and let you know how it works. Thanks again!

mac2298
    Participant

So as a follow up, does anyone know what the issue with Duke3D and Doom 1 is?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.