Exit-able emulators

RetroPie has a new website and forum. Please visit https://retropie.org.uk/ for the new site. The new forum is located at https://retropie.org.uk/forum/. This forum is left here as a read-only archive.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dudleydes dudleydes 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of proxycell
    proxycell
    Participant

Other than FBA, GBA and the libretro set, are there any other exit-able emulators?

thanks

Profile photo of dudleydes
    dudleydes
    Participant

By exit-able, I assume you mean that the emulator exits successfully back to emulationstation. If so, then you can include mame4all-pi.

Profile photo of buzz
    buzz
    Keymaster

They should all be exitable?

Profile photo of buzz
    buzz
    Keymaster

if not – let me know which and what happens and I’ll try and help.

Profile photo of downup
    downup
    Participant

On my Xbox360 controller can i exit the emulator with Select + Start and the (xbox-button) brings up the menu to save/load and other stuff.

Really good, got an xbox controller?

dudleydes
    Participant

Thanks, Buzz. I compiled a new version of the Intellivision, jzintv, which fixed a bug that was breaking keyboard hacks. The SVN source is available at the following link: http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/dl/jzintv-svn-20141028.zip.

On exit from jzintv, I get a black screen and the pi is completely unresponsive. I can SSH into the pi but sudo reboot doesn’t work. The only way to reset the pi is through a power cycle. There is a long-running issue at the ES github (../EmulationStation/issues/206) that suggests that it’s affecting other non-Retroarch emulators such as VICE.

There is a fix at this post – ../emulationstation-not-restarting-on-emulator-exit/#post-81307. I tried to write a script that would replicate this but I can’t seem to get the exit command in step 2 working as it’s an inbuilt command. Also, I’m not entirely sure why typing exit should relaunch ES.

I also followed this thread ../atari-2600-stella-locks-up-after-exit/ which described a similar situation to mine. I have tried to enable dispmanx for jzintv. I installed dispmanx from the (updated) Retropie setup script and then enabled it for jzintv, also from the setup script. I am still getting a black screen on exit. Now I’m not sure whether dispmanx doesn’t solve the issue for jzintv or whether dispmanx wasn’t enabled as I had compiled jzintv from an alternative source to the Retropie script.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Profile photo of buzz
    buzz
    Keymaster

did you do

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh jzintv configure

(or run the main install binaries script again which will run configure for everything). the dispmanx configuration requires that the es_system.cfg is updated with latest configuration from the jzintv retropie module.

Profile photo of buzz
    buzz
    Keymaster

thanks for the updated source.

dudleydes
    Participant

I have found out why dispmanx wasn’t enabled. It was because I hadn’t updated the runcommand script since June 2014. In any case, I ran
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh jzintv configure
    as it provided the command to make sure dispmanx was enabled for jzintv.

Now a rom will not launch. I get the following output in the console:

ERROR: MAC Dispmanx - the program is calling SDL_ListModes. That shouldn't happen.
    gfx/SDL Error:
    Powering on HDMI with preferred setting

before returning to ES.

Incidentally, I could only get audio for the new build of jzintv by adding a -a22050 flag.

Profile photo of buzz
    buzz
    Keymaster

oh yeh. that needs updating too – I thought I had mentioned that in the other thread.

that sdl error isn’t fatal afaik, i think stuff usually runs anyway, but i’d have to check.

I don’t have any time right now to look into this, but when i update jzintv I will check it’s working etc and fix up any issues I find.

dudleydes
    Participant

Ok, thanks. If there’s any testing on jzintv you’d like to be done, then please let me know and I’d be happy to do so.

Profile photo of proxycell
    proxycell
    Participant

ahhh, i meant via a controller by default (excluding the libretro stuff). if mame4all-pi can do it i will include it. which key combo does it?

dudleydes
    Participant

You can assign a key to exit mame4all-pi by pressing TAB in-game. I don’t think there’s a default.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar